Best way to index/search for encounters?

I’m getting started working in Flukebook.

I will be using flukebook for ID matching, but managing the majority of my metadata outside of flukebook. As such, I want to be able to index my data in flukebook in a way that allows me to readily search/query for an individual encounter or specific sets of encounters in my dataset on Flukebook (e.g. if I want to go back and double check the match proposed for a specific encounter, or export results from a specific set of encounters).

Which are the best data columns to use for this in the bulk uploader template, and how do I then use them for queries once they data and photos have been uploaded?

Also, when doing a bulk upload, is it OK to fully omit the columns that I am not filling in when I create my bulk upload excel file?

Thanks in advance!

A related but more specific question:
Can I search my encounters based on the Encounter.mediaAsset field? And is this field included when match result are exported?

Hello @CMKonrad

It looks like we failed to respond to these questions. I apologize.

Have you been able to resolve these issues, or can we be of some additional assistance?

Thank you,
Jason

Hi Jason, I would still be glad to hear answers to these questions. Thanks!

Absolutely. In fact, we recommend it in our documentation.

You mean searching by the name of the original image file? @jason can correct me if I’m wrong, but not to my knowledge. These are the current search options available in Flukebook:

If you expand Image Label Filters, there’s an option within it to search by keyword. If you wanted to, you could add the field Encounter.mediaAsset0.keywords to your spreadsheet to create keywords for the images. Multiple keywords should be separated by an underscore _. This section in the encounter search page will display a list of previously submitted keywords to select in your search. You can also review the list of bulk import fields to get a better idea of the type of data you can include to search with later.

Hi, thanks for the prompt answer.
Am I able to add whatever values I want to the Encounter.mediaAsset0.keywords field? E.g. could I repeat the Encounter.mediaAsset field here if I wanted to? And would this value then show up as an option for the values listed in Keyword Filters? Since this list of keywords does not appear to be sorted I could see it being tedious to find the keywords of interest within that box.

Exactly.

That’s my understanding. I can’t think of another reason you’d see keywords like this as a result:

Hi Anastasia, thanks for the confirmation. In that case, I think this might not be the most practical for me, so I’ll put a plug for a feature request here to be able to query by Encounter.mediaAsset (so as to not have to create and scroll through thousands of keywords). Being able to query by Occurrence.occurrenceID would also be helpful. Let me know if I should repeat this comment in the feature request topic.

It’s definitely worthy of its own Feature Request post.

I’m sorry you had to wait for so long for a definitive answer!