Bulk Import of an already created catalogue

What Wildbook are you working in? Flukebook

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing? Advice on the best way to import an already existing catalogue as a Bulk Import

Can you provide steps on how to reproduce what you’re experiencing?

Hi all!

I am working as a head researcher in an NGO located in the Canary Islands. Over 20+ years, a master catalogue was built with a single picture of all the individuals recognized in a resident population of a cetacean species.

I am trying to first upload this master catalogue in Flukebook as a reference for the matching (or adding) of individuals from future encounters.
What would be the best way to import this data as a bulk?
As the catalogue is made of the best fin shot of each individual in the population, I think that the time field would not be really representative in this case.
Would the “individual catalog” spreadsheet template be the best one in this case, including only the fields “Encounter.mediaAsset0”, “Encounter.genus”, “Encounter.specificEpithet” and “Encounter.submitterID” ? Or should I choose another spreadsheet template?

Additionally, is there a way to allow volunteers to access the account to upload encounters and add data, but prevent them from accessing other features like changing passwords?

I apologize if these topics have already been discussed before.

Best,
Chiara

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Hi @cbresciani, welcome!

These templates are just a starting point and are meant to be customized, so it doesn’t really matter which one you choose. Most researchers will have a lot more data than what the templates provide and you can reference the full list of field names and how to use them in our Bulk Import help docs.

You’ll also want to reference your Flukebook welcome email for additional links and videos related to bulk import help.

No. Anyone who can sign into the account has the ability to update its password.

Hi @Anastasia!

Thank you. I understood perfectly that those are completely customisable fields, I was just wondering whether date and time could be omitted in a case like ours but I got my answer anyway, thank you.

Understood for the volunteers as well, thank you.
I was reading in the Wild Me documentation that Org Admin functions of the account could be requested, so that the Admin can create and/or add users to the organisation. I was wondering if it could be a way to add a second user/account to the organisation, which I could create for the volunteers and other staff members.
Thank you anyway.

Chiara

Sorry about that! As long as you have at least the year present for the date, that’s good enough.

Let me follow up on that soon.

Thanks for your patience! You now have the orgAdmin role in Flukebook and can create new users for your org (AWdF).

Hi @Anastasia,

Thank you very much for your help!

1 Like