Bulk imports showing as "detection complete" with 0 annotations generated

What Wildbook are you working in?

ACW

Bulk imports showing as “detection complete” with 0 annotations generated. User uploaded attached file (BPCOvrvwWtdFldr132120240126.xlsx) overnight and ran detection with no annotations generated. Here’s the link to the affected bulk import: https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/import.jsp?taskId=1cc2b829-0b77-4620-b568-94f446f3e94f

User had the same issue with 2 other bulk imports last week. She deleted them and re-uploaded them and had the same issue - detection status is complete but no annotations were generated. For those, the user ended up creating the annotations manually as the field team were in a rush to get the IDs, if known, for this sighting. Those 2 files are attached here as well, for WM to be able to reference them for further investigation -

• BPC_OvrvwWtd_Fldr1487_2024_05_30.xlsx
  • BPC_OvrvwWtd_Fldr1488_2024_05_25.xlsx

Additional bulk imports from a second user with the same issue:

Bulk imports not completing identification after several days of waiting and the “average turnaround time” showing as 0 minutes. Here are the links to those imports and the related upload files are attached:

This is a bulk import from a 3rd user that has the same issue: https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/import.jsp?taskId=78027c41-ee72-4099-a135-0e86f3eaa16a

These are all bulk imports of Lycaon pictus photos. Other imports of other species do not appear to be having the same issue.

Also, Lycaon pictus bulk imports uploaded prior to the 10.2.1 update did not have this issue so the problem only started after the 10.2.1 update.

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Spreadsheets sent.

Thanks

Paul

@jason

Thanks for letting us know! I’ll need more time to work on this.

Whatever’s causing the imports to be marked as detection complete when there aren’t any annotations saved also means that it prompts users to send to ID when there are no annotations to ID.

We’re still working on this; thanks for your patience.

1 Like

Hi, is there any news on this?

Kind regards,
Elke

1 Like

Hi @evgils

This is still a work in progress. As soon as I have any updates, I’ll share them here.

1 Like

Morning team - has there been any progress on fixing this issue?

Kind Regards,

Will

Hi @WillD1996 and @evgils

We are continuing to work on this from the engineering team. It is isolated to the detection of wild dog tails, which can cause detection to fail. We understand the nature of the issue (unusual characters in the detection response when a wild dog tail part is present) but not the exact cause. The issue is isolated to only this species (other species with parts are not affected) and related to code that has not visibly changed in quite awhile.

We will continue to find the root cause as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

Jason

1 Like

Hi Jason,
Thank you for the update and working on it!

Hope it gets fixed soon. Is there any way to continue matching without tails included?

Kind regards,
Elke

Hi Elke,

The short answer is: not on a full bulk import until this issue gets fixed.

However, if you’re up for it, you can do manual annotations at the encounter level and then send each through matching separately. However, with the volume of data that I know you’re working with, I realize that that’s not an ideal option.

best
Maureen

Hi @evgils and @WillD1996

We found and restored the legacy customized code for African wild dog tail association that was lost in the upgrade. This code changed how detection results were returned and blocked completion for only this species. Replayed over the newer Wildbook code, we should be able to ensure the code stays in place moving forward.

I have re-run detection on the linked bulk imports above, and I see annotations assigned.

Please let me know if there are other bulk imports that need to be re-run. Future bulk imports should work normally.

Thank you,
Jason

1 Like

Many thanks for fixing this!!
I will immediately check my imports and continue matching work.

Kind regards,
Elke