What Wildbook are you working in? ACW
I’m looking for help determining the best fields to use in the system for a particular dataset type. The org we’re working with gets all of their data from camera trap studies. They have the following categories they’d like to be able to track with particular sets of images:
- survey area: specific survey project with a large, defined geographical area
- study area: a subset of the survey area
- survey year: some survey &/or study areas are re-used over multiple years so being able to identify which year the data was collected in that area is important
Having a way to recognize, at the encounter record level, which survey & or study area each encounter belongs to, along with the survey year, is what we’re trying to find a solution for. Being able to do this in the bulk import would be optimal, because that’s how their data will be loaded into the system.
In ACW, we haven’t yet tried to use any of the “survey”-related fields such as:
- SurveyTrack.vesselID (for obvious reasons)
but these all seem to be at the Occurrence level not at the Encounter level.
Other options I’ve considered as part of the solution are:
- Occurrence ID: include some of the survey info in the OccID string but it’s likely not practical as a survey is much broader than a sighting
- Projects: it’s logical to consider a survey a project in ACW but an encounter being part of a specific project is not displayed at the encounter level, if I’m not mistaken. Also, I’m not sure the projects functionality is robust enough yet, particularly around location info? But maybe it is, or is heading in that direction?
- Location ID + verbatim locality: to capture survey & study areas. Not sure this is practical since I don’t believe the survey & study areas necessarily follow defined geographical locations and are generally at a much lower level than country or region. Also, some study/survey areas are only used once, such as when a local community grants 1-time access for a cameras to be placed on their land.
We know of many camera trap surveys underway with numerous ACW users and future users, so this is something we want to solve for in the most optimal way possible that everyone doing these surveys can use going forward.
I’m assuming that this has likely been solved for in other Wildbooks so I’m hoping to learn from others’ experience in figuring this out. Thoughts and recommendations would be very much appreciated.