Codex vs Flukebook

What Wildbook are you working in? Flukebook

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing? blue whales identification

Can you provide steps on how to reproduce what you’re experiencing?

I am curious about Codex, and what does Codex do compared to Flukebook?.

For example, if the IA algorithms are ready for the blue whales, and the manual annotations are possible, after could I use Flukebook to see if the identified whales match someone in your database or not?

How is it possible to analyse the groups of blue whales and where they move? To learn more about their community.

How the software works. Do you think it should be possible to install some useful code on my computer to better understand how it works for identification? Can I have access to Codex?

Thank you very much,

Isabel

Hi @isabel

Right now, we only have Codex for Snails, Zebras, and Seals. Eventually, Wildbooks will migrate to Codex, including Flukebook. The difference is that Codex aims to be more easy to use for citizen scientists (public submitters without an account), and it resolves some issues in Wildbook that improves the workflow from submission to matching and assigning individuals.

Yes, when you add an annotation and are able to run a match, you’ll see potential matches for your whale based on the location where it was seen. From the match page you can confirm whether your whale is a match wtih one of the results or if it’s a new Individual.

As you upload photos taken over a period of time and identify the whales in each encounter, you can infer information based on when and where they were seen. Projects are one way to manage a census.

There’s no whale codex yet, so Flukebook is where you’ll stay until we decide to migrate it to Codex. We have a video on your YouTube channel that discusses two of the Flukebook algorithms in more detail. There are additional algorithms on Flukebook since that video was made and you can learn more about each on our Image Analysis Pipeline help docs.

Here’s the link to our code repositories if you want to dig into it more.

1 Like