We’ve been doing some investigation on this. It seems that the slow processing is indeed due to long comparisons between images with many spots. In most spot mapping platforms we see an average of around 30-40 spots per image, and that is enough to have accurate matching results and a pretty quick turn around.
Because of a larger matching area and plenty of spots on the species we are seeing more on average- the maximum I saw for an image on this platform was 118.
I didn’t see 80+ spots on any encounters managed by your project, but here is one with 77:
I notice a couple in the 60’s as well. We’ve added some extra computer power to get through the existing queue and I am seeing progress, though it is still moving somewhat slowly.
To ensure shorter turnaround times, we have added a limit of 50 on the amount of spots that can be mapped for a given image. Based on some optimization work we have done in the past this seems to be around where compute times start to quickly extend and accuracy doesn’t improve much with the addition of more spots.
This won’t effect existing mapped images. I’d encourage re-mapping images with spot counts over 50 if you find them.
Hope this helps, we’ll continue monitoring the progress of the existing match queue.