Correction to sighting autoresponder on Sharkbook

Current text:

“We will use your information to assist a global community of researchers and citizen scientists working to better understand and protect the world’s biggest fish.”

I presume this was from whaleshark.org, but it could be updated for a more general response to something like:

“We will use your information to assist a global community of researchers and citizen scientists working to better understand and protect the world’s shark species.”

Updating this to a Feature Request since a bug report refers to a broken process.

Great white sharks, tiger sharks, and whale sharks are all among the top 10 of the world’s biggest fish. I don’t think the current text is incorrect and that this is more of a stylistic suggestion.

That’s fine then. (Could be fishes, referring to multiple species.)

That’s an interesting callout, since I just learned that “fishes” makes sense in a scientific context, but more broadly, “fish” is fine for singular and plural uses.

I’ll leave this open for our Director of Product to consider with the rest of the feature requests. Thanks!

1 Like

I’m good with the line change, especially since we have other platforms that support what are more commonly thought of as fish. Since it’s not a huge difference, though, I think we’ll wait and make this change when we make another update to Sharkbook.

-Tanya

1 Like

Adding link to ticket: Update autoreply email for Sharkbook · Issue #324 · WildMeOrg/Wildbook · GitHub