Display bug in Excel export

In which Wildbook did the issue occur?
Whiskerbook

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3)
Windows 10

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79)
Lastest Chrome

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc)
Orgadmin

What happened?
Hi :slight_smile:
Sorry to create a lot of topics at the moment : we have new users who are happy to discover the software and that leads to identifying new things :slight_smile: I try to limit new topics to the essentials !

When we imported data with a first bulk import, we added Encounter.occurenceRemarks (remarks like “DonnĂ©e OFB” or “CoordonnĂ©es Ă  vĂ©rifier”) and it worked amazingly as you can see here in an Excel export :

=> You can see that the Ă©, Ă , Ăš are written normally in the Excel export.

On the other hand, when contributors add their comments to the encounter page (“Attributes → Additional comment”) it goes to the same export colum, but the letters â€œĂ©â€ “ù” “à” and others weird french letters are not displayed correctly in the export (french letters : Ă©, Ăš, Ă , ç, Ă«, ĂȘ, Ăč, Ăą, ĂȘ, Ăź, ĂŻ, ĂŽ, ö, Ă», ĂŒ).

See here with the encounter remarks “lien probable avec une autre fiche du mĂȘme jour Ă  15h41 sur ce mĂȘme site” and “peut-ĂȘtre un lien avec la vidĂ©o du mĂȘme jour Ă  3h21 sur ce mĂȘme site” and “trĂšs mauvaise qualitĂ©â€ :
(same Excel export as previously).

What did you expect to happen?

I expected the characters entered in the encounter to be displayed normally in the Excel export, the same way as when they are entered through a bulk import.

Thanks so much for all your amazing work, sorry for our weird language :woozy_face: :wink:

Interesting find!

Are there any issues with the characters appearing correctly on the Encounter page? Or does this only start to misbehave once the data is exported?

The encounter page is perfect :

Only the Excel export is weird !

1 Like

Thanks for being patient while we work on this. Can you share the search URL that you’re trying to export? There are a few different things that could be causing this, but having the exact search will help us narrow down where to look next.

1 Like

Hi @Anastasia

Thanks for looking into it :slight_smile:
=> For example this one
Still on the subject of Excel exports, do you know if it is possible to have the “photographer name” in the export, please?

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll ask about it while we work on this.

1 Like

Thanks for your patience! Exports now correctly display non-English characters from the occurrence remarks.

This field didn’t appear in any of the test exports I worked with, but this could be a good candidate for a feature request if you wanted to make a post for it.

1 Like

Thanks @Anastasia, this is very good news !

I will make the feature request tomorrow😊

1 Like