Duplicate Marked Individuals

What Wildbook are you working in? ACW

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?
Ex:
https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/individuals.jsp?id=211beb89-f54b-43f3-9373-4c8682a12f73
https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/individuals.jsp?id=47f3f548-3392-42c2-82d9-2637301a2061

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?
I did a bulk import of new encounters for some existing marked individuals in ACW. The Default ID was matched in the bulk import in the “MarkedIndividual.individualID” field.

In each case, the system appears to have created a 2nd copy of the same Marked Individual, per the following list:
BPC_LpF05
BPC_LpF08
BPC_LpF22
BPC_LpF30
BPC_LpF61
BPC_LpM01
BPC_LpM03
BPC_LpM05
BPC_LpM07
BPC_LpM08
BPC_LpM14
BPC_LpM17
BPC_LpM19
BPC_LpM32
BPC_LpM36

What did I do wrong??

Can you provide steps on how to reproduce what you’re experiencing?
Using the Search field at the top right, enter any of the ID’s listed above and you’ll see 2 identical matches in the dropdown list.

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report
Done.

Thanks
Maureen

Hi @ACWadmin1,

This is security kicking in.

This individual is entirely owned by Kasim:

This individual was imported with data belonging to Megan:

Silo security tries to prevent individuals from interfering with each others’ catalogs by scoping marked individuals in a bulk import to only the submitterID. For example, on Flukebook.org there are four whales and dolphins numbered “1234” from four species and at least four researchers.

In a multiuser system, we unfortunately cannot by default assume that Megan’s BPC_LpF05 is Kasim’s BPC_LpF05, even if they’re the same species. So scoped to the user, we create a new BPC_LpF05 because we likely didn’t have any Encounter of this individual assigned to Megan before.

We could potentially scope this (marked individuals during import) out by Organization or Collaboration rather than single User, but we would need to consider the security ramifications and downstream impacts.

If possible, the immediate solution here would be to delete the Bulk Import and reimport the data for these leopards assigned to Kasim and then make sure Megan has data sharing with Kasim turned on by default.

Thanks,
Jason

1 Like

Ahhhhh!!! I see. Okay, I’ll delete the import and address the submitter / owner issue. Thanks @jason!!!

1 Like