Email letting Citizen know a match has been made is not working

In which Wildbook did the issue occur?
Flukebook

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3)
macOS Sierra 10.12.6

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79)
FireFox

What happened?
2 things:
1.) When submitting an encounter while not logged in: An email address is
added to the “Submitter” email field. When the encounter is submitted,
the email shows up on the encounter page, but the user is not notified
via email when the encounter is matched to an individual.
2.) After submitting the encounter initially (while not logged in) the submitter email receives an email that an encounter was submitted and a blue link to the encounter is provided. However, when I click on the blue link it does not take me to the encounter, Flukebook is telling me I must log in to see my submitted encounter.

What did you expect to happen?
1.) The owner of the submitter email address to be notified when the encounter
is matched to an individual.
2.) To click on the link and be taken to the encounter I submitted without having to log in. Citizens who are submitting photos to see if they have seen a known individual will not have log ins to Flukebooks and therefore will never see their photos getting matched.

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue?
While not logged in, submit an encounter and fill out the submitter email
address with an address you have access to. Match your test encounter
to a name Individual animal, and see that you receive no email.

Reported by Cassie from Wild Dolphin Project on Flukebook.

Hi there!
Thanks for reporting this issue on our Community! I know that this has been an ongoing point of frustration for you, and having it reported through this system makes it a lot easier for us to prioritize appropriately and keep it visible with all the have-to-dos we have on our plate.
Right now, we have about 3 potential sources of the problem and are deep in investigating which it could be. Thank you for your patience as we dig into it.
Tanya

Hi Tanya,

Thank you for looking into this for me. Let me know if there is anything you need form me along the way as you try the 3 possible solutions.

Best,
Cassie

Hi,

I was just wondering if there has been any updates on this topic? As far as I am aware it is still not working correctly.

Thank you,
Cassie

Hi @wdp,
There hasn’t been any substantial movement on this other than to discover additional problems. There is an issue with the overall implementation of email, and finding time to get that resolved is hard given the amount of work that will be required. That being said, it’s a top priority for me to find the time because a fair number of issues users are experiencing are tied into this source problem.
As soon as work begins, I will be sure to post here. For the moment though, we are sill considering this “under review” because what we’ve found is too big of a chunk to be considered knowing what the problem is.
Thanks,
Tanya

Hi Tanya,

Thank you for responding, and yes please keep me updated.

Best,
Cassie

Hi Tanya,

I am just checking in to see if there has been any movement on this issue involving emails being sent back to citizens after a match has been made? Also, I am wondering if other Wildbook groups are having this issue or if it is only within our Wild Dolphin Project platform?

Best,
Cassie

Hi Cassie,
We were working to resolve several high impact issues that occurred around IA across various platforms, and that took up a ton of our support focus. We have not had any additional movement on this.

Other platforms are experiencing email issues, but not your specific one. Because it seems to be a general instability with the entire email service, we are looking at potentials shifts we can make to get to a more stable service, but it hasn’t been a major focus for several weeks.

Hey there,
You’ve already confirmed that this is fixed on your end, but I wanted to close the loop here to and get this marked as resolved. Took changing email providers, but we got there! (Completed with WB-1151)

Tanya

2 posts were split to a new topic: Flukebook: encounters not visible through email