Email notifications not being sent to photographer/ or person uploading phoot

Spot-A-Shark Australia

Microsoft

Chrome

Researcher

When I approve an encounter there are supposed to be emails sent to the person who uploaded and the photographer. No emails are being sent.

What did you expect to happen? - Email notifications are meant to be shared Submitters & Photographers once the encounter has been approved.

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue? You could try going into an approved shark (such as R1066), change status to unapproved, edit the contact information and add your test email, then hit save, close editing, and change the status back to approved, and see if the email notification is sent.

Hi @MarkF did you see this bug, as this one is fairly major at our end? We are not getting any notifications sent to our photographers or submitters once we approve the upload. We are finding that the silence means that they lose interest and do not submit anything again.

Ideally they would receive an initial notification thanking them for their upload, letting them know that we are working hard in the background to identify their shark and once we have confirmed the identify we will notify them of its name.

Then once we approve the sighting it would be good if there was an ability to press a button or something that sends both the photographer and submitter an email, saying that the photo is protected and should we want to use it for any purpose we will get the photographer’s permission.

And then follow on notifications for when that shark is spotted elsewhere.

The users should have an ability to decide if they want to opt out of notifications too.

Also is the notification wording something we will be able to edit and amend at our end?

Hi, @Sarah_Aus_SpotaShark !

Yes I saw this. I think @jason and Sean are in some discussions at the moment, but I’ve add it to the ticket list (WB-1784) for posterity.

-Mark

Hi @Sarah_Aus_SpotaShark

We tried to reach out to @Sean_Aus_SpotaShark on Feb 19 and Feb 27th about this issue but received no answer. We switched our mail service to MailChimp, which requires some domain name entries that we cannot make in order to connect your owned domain spotashark.com to MailChimp.

I will resend those needed changes to Sean.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @jason, fab can you help me work out what we need to do at this end. I am trying to help Sean on a lot of this but because he didn’t have any support things were falling behind. Maybe I can help.

Where can I get access to MailChimp so that we can connect our domain spotashark.com?

Will MailChimp allow us to achieve what I described? I.e. tailoring notifications, sending notifications upon submission, upon approval, and upon new sightings, with the ability for the user to opt out?

Hi @Sarah_Aus_SpotaShark

I emailed Sean the details. Someone on you end will need to implement them in the the DNS for spotashark.com

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @jason thanks for this. He has shared that with me. Now can I ask does Australia manage the website front end too or is that wholly managed at your end? Sean has given me details of our domain, but do we also own the website platform?

Hi @Sarah_Aus_SpotaShark

I found a way to solve 2/3 of the steps we needed Sean to follow.

The final stage is clicking a verification link sent to sean@spotashark… by MailChimp. Can you please ask him to look for and follow the link? That should be the final step needed to reconnect emails.

Thanks,
Jason

Moving ticket to Support as this wasn’t a bug.

Hi @Jason I have followed the link but not sure what else we need to do. Anyway, thanks for help us and sorry but just found all the missing emails.

Hi @Jason, I have made those changes in the background to MailChimp and so hopefully it will work.

I just tested one of the encounters to see if the emails were sent and nothing happened. Do you know if it takes time to get resolved?

On our end, it still shows that the email sent to sean@spotashark hasn’t been verified. Do you have another @spotashark.com email address that can be used?

Hi @jason

I think it is all fixed at our end now - can you please check?

Thanks
Sarah

Hi @Sarah_Aus_SpotaShark

We’re still showing that the MailChimp verification link has not been clicked. We’ve tried sending multiple to sean@spotashark. Have these been received? If so, can you please have Sean forward to us?

Thanks,
Jason

This is a public forum. One of you guys should email these credentials to support@wildme.org. I’m gonna delete that previous post.
-Mark

OK, we’re all connected, and I received my first email from the site.

@Sarah_Aus_SpotaShark Can you confirm that you’re seeing new emails flowing?

1 Like

Oh wow amazing! Yes, I just ran a test and can confirm I received an email! Fantastic news.

Now how do we amend the template email of what gets sent? Is that managed through MailChimp?

1 Like

I believe that the email templates live in the wildbook repository (i.e., editing them would be a wildme staffer task [unless you happen to be comfortable making pull requests on github!]).

If there’s something to change, could I trouble you to make a separate post about it?

May we mark this one as resolved?
Thanks,
Mark

Happy with that approach. Let me raise that as a separate task. Thank you in resolving this one!

1 Like