Emails not going out from MM

Bug report template

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? Manta Matcher

What operating system were you using? unknown

What web browser were you using? unknown

What is your role on the site? Admin

What happened? This is an extension of an ongoing issue with emails confirming matches and resights not going out. I received another email this morning that someone who adopted a manta hasn’t received an expected email. (screenshot from them below). They were waiting on an adoption confirmation email, which was important because the adoption was a mother’s day gift. (I’m speaking with him now, and will send out a separate confirmation email for the mother)

I also checked the adoption details to see if the email matched the one provided (elena@emhalliance.org), it looks like this:
Elena Ruiz de la Torre <elena@emhalliance.org>

What did you expect to happen? Confirmation email to go out after the adoption

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue? Run a test adoption

I’ve also just received confirmation from the adopter that the email did not go into her spam folder.

Hi Anna,

I’ve just looked into this and believe I’ve found the problem. In the database is a non valid email address for this adopter. It looks like this :

Elena Ruiz de la Torre &amp;lt;elena@emhalliance.org&amp;gt;

The “&lt;” and “&gt;” are machine ways of saving greater than and less than signs. This with the full name of the adopter as a prefix suggests to me that they accidentally copy and pasted the entire “to:” or “from:” section in a gmail exchange, complete with unwanted characters and full name. Gmail lists recipients and senders like this:

Example Person <example@wildme.org>

The software expects just the email address and was unable to send. Thanks for sending a separate confirmation email. I can set the adopter email to the correct one you provided in this issue report.

Thanks! I wasn’t sure if the email was appearing like that because it was somehow being transcribed incorrectly from the form, but definitely seems like a bad copy and paste from the email is more likely. It would be great if you could also get the official email resent, so they know it’s coming through from the site.

A post was split to a new topic: Users not receiving update emails