Encounter without a viewpoint assigned - why not?

What Wildbook are you working in? ACW

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?
Proposed match - source encounter that doesn’t have a viewpoint assigned: Wildbook for Carnivores | Login
Match results page where above encounter is proposed match #3: Wildbook for Carnivores

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?
I ran a match for an encounter record and in reviewing the proposed matches, I saw that the 3rd one is of a leopard with the opposing viewpoint. When I went to check the viewpoint assigned, I can’t see any sign of a viewpoint having been assigned.

Not sure why?

thanks
Maureen

Another example:
Match results page: Wildbook for Carnivores
Encounter that is match #2 above: Wildbook for Carnivores | Login

There’s no viewpoint showing when I hover over the annotation in the encounter that is the source for match #2, which is the reason it’s not being excluded from the match results based on it being the opposite viewpoint from the target encounter.

For reference - the 2 examples above came from a spot check of 3 encounters’ match results in an upload batch from yesterday.

Thank you for this!
We will take a look asap!
-Mark

1 Like

Thanks @MarkF. Btw, I just noticed a post from mid-June with the same issue: No viewpoint on annotation?

M

Hello,

We believe this import was submitted right before a fixing change was made to the leopard detection config. Do you have access to the excel file for this import? Removing and resubmitting it will most likely fix the issue. I’ve taking a few samples of images with missing viewpoints and had successful full detection results with viewpoint come from them with the current config.

Thanks.

Hi @colin - these batches were submitted in April. Much work has been done with these images - at least one merge between 2 individuals and matches with other encounters. What happens to all of that work if I delete and re-submit these batches? Am I correct in assuming all that work will be lost? If so, then that’s not an option.

Is there no way this can be fixed on the back end? Have the detector run on these images and any other leopard batches that were uploaded prior to the fix, in order to get the viewpoint assigned?

If not, that means we have hundreds of leopard images without viewpoints??

thanks
Maureen

FYI: @PaulK

After conferring with Jason H, we think there is a possible solution. We can remove all annotations without viewpoint and resend just that set to detection for new ones with the corrected config.

This is an option with leopards because they are solitary, images with more than one animal have the potential for encounter duplication.

We can proceed with trying this per your approval.

Hi @colin - if that would retain all of the matching etc already done in ACW but apply viewpoints where they don’t exist today, with the only downside being that where there are images with multiple leopards we may get some duplicates, I think that’s a good solution. As you say, they tend to be mostly solitary so the # of images that have multiple leopards in them will be fairly small, making a cleanup of any duplicates fairly easy.

Please go ahead with this and thanks for figuring out a solution! Phew!!!

best,
Maureen

Hi @ACWadmin1

The annotation surgery is complete. I am seeing a nice clean bill of health for Panthera pardus annotations here:

https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/appadmin/iaBreakdownBySpecies.jsp

All matchable annotations now have viewpoint and acmId assigned and should correspondingly be fully matchable.

Please let me know if you see any issues.

Thanks,
Jason

2 Likes

I also see only one, resulting cloned Encounter to address:

https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=f97afee2-53cd-48b3-9254-3a227b0cb8ed

1 Like

Hi @jason - that’s great, thanks so much! I’ve only checked a couple but I noticed that the match results previously run are no longer available - is that a consequence of this process?

thanks again.

Maureen

Yes, those match results were associated with the old annotation. The updated annotation with viewpoint is a new annotation requiring a new matching Task.

Doing some spot checking, I found some media assets without annotations. So I added annotations manually, and noticed that even though I added the viewpoint, as required, it doesn’t show when I hover over the newly created annotation in the encounter record’s gallery. I assume this is just a ‘cosmetic’ issue and that the system does know what viewpoint I assigned and thus matches run will only be run against that same viewpoint, but I thought I should mention it.

Here are some examples:
https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=6f2d7bc2-1dd1-4f1b-b69f-a086c8bb3b5e
https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=f1d69ef7-8b99-4950-b6f5-2bda0a59c7c6
https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=516fd1d8-43e0-48d1-8ee4-2a9d5dcfb7eb

thanks
Maureen

I confirmed that all do have the viewpoints in the database.

Thanks,
Jason