Encounters replicated but corrupted (zombie encounters)

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? SeadragonSearch

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3) MacOS13.4.1

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79) Chrome 125 ish

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc) admin

What happened? I have seen recently a couple encounters appear with images corrupted (so you just see icons, not images). They appear to be normal jpg format. When I contacted submitters, it was confirmed that these were already submitted and processed. some just a few days before. So they seem like little zombie encounters that just rise up every now and then.

What did you expect to happen?

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue? no idea. but here is a link to a zombie that I’ve left sitting there. earlier ones were deleted. SeadragonSearch.org

the original is here SeadragonSearch.org

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Here is another. First the original submission

now the zombie

That is weird. Thanks for the examples! Let me investigate and figure out what’s going on.

ok, interesting new zombie example here…

1. original encounter was an afterthought, an extra image that should have been matched to an earlier encounter. So i downloaded the image, attached it to the encounter it should have been with. and deleted the encounter with the single extraneous image. https://wildbook.seadragonsearch.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=3a8d452a-6ac9-4252-a740-aa4fa6e86237

2. the zombie encounter appears today, roughly 5 days later, matching the deleted encounter. however, this time, first time ever, the zombie encounter has images that are not corrupted. SeadragonSearch.org

1 Like

actually @Anastasia I’ve just realised that the zombie encounter was definitely triggered by this submitter submitting a new encounter. first comes the zombie, then the new encounter. this definitely also happened with the zombie from marion macey too. hope that might a key bit of info, good luck!

1 Like

I’m curious: Do you receive a new encounter submission email when the zombie encounter is created or just for the actual submission?

I dont know; they would have gone to the person who submitted it I guess. I dont know these people well enough to ask this. but if a zombie pops up with someone we ‘trust’ I will ask this

1 Like