Flukebook: Individual encounters stuck at identification status

In which Wildbook did the issue occur?
Flukebook
What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3)
Windows 11
What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79)
Chrome
What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc)
Researcher
What happened?
The identification process and matching of individual encounters was slowing down on the Mar 29th, and since then became stuck, returning with errors; “attempting to fetch results”, and no matches with only the Hotspotter algorthim being used.
What did you expect to happen?
Flukebook was working well before then, and I have not uploaded any new data. I waited until now to report the issue thinking it might be related to the recent issue with bulk imports in Flukebook that has been resolved. However, I still have these problems. Is this a separate issue linked with my account or should I give Flukebook more time?

Hi @ruth.wpa

Can you share the links to specific Encounters you’re having trouble with?

If they were part of a bulk import, can you also email the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org so we can review the metadata as well?

Thanks!

Hi Anastasia

The encounters were uploaded individually but I have possibly 70 encounters I am waiting to match, and it seems that they are all affected.

This link is to one of the encounters: https://www.flukebook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=a9bb2163-125a-432a-80ab-631695e75975
This encounter was stuck with “processing” as the identification status and would return with “attempting to fetch results”.
Today I noticed that Flukebook is working a lot slower and I am seeing the message “Waiting for results. There are currently 721 ID jobs in the bulk import queue. Time per job is averaging 0 minutes based on recent matches. Your time may be much faster or slower.”.

Another encounter is : Flukebook
This encounter has an identification status of “complete” and returns with the message " Matches based on texture (HotSpotter match results) 3/28/2024, 7:11:10 PM against 7899 candidates____Image Analysis has returned and no match was found." These results would show up twice.

Thanks!

This match result is normal for Hotspotter. It looks for candidates with a match score greater than 0. When it doesn’t find any, it displays this message instead of listing candidates with a very low confidence score. You can see a list of match result status and what they mean in our help docs.

I’m not sure why it’s displaying the same result twice, though.

WBIA seems to be running normally, so I’ll need more time to look into why matches from the 29th aren’t loading.

I spot-checked several of your recent uploads and I’m seeing match results for all of them. I suspect the job queues have just been really slow lately. The only Encounter I’ve seen so far that’s still working is this one: https://www.flukebook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=a9bb2163-125a-432a-80ab-631695e75975

I re-sent it to identification, but it’s going to take a while before it finishes loading. Let me know if you see another error message or if it doesn’t complete over the weekend.

I have just given Flukebook another try today and the encounters I shared with you are coming back with matches now, no errors. It seems to be working well now.
Thank you for your time and assistance!

1 Like