Flukebook questions

Hi guys a couple of things I’m wanting to get my head around and would appreciate your help.

• I’m the administrator of an account in Port Phillip and want to allow citizen scientists to access our developing catalog in Flukebook. I’ve created access via a PortPhillip_public account with view only setting. When I go into the account I can’t see anything in Encounter or Individuals. Have I set it up incorrectly?

• When I try and assign an encounter to a different user I get a screen that tells me access is denied. As the administrator of the account, should I have the ability to change encounters to a different assigned user?

Thanks in advance,
Sue

Hi @sue_mason

Do you want citizen scientists to be able to log into to curate data or just view it?

If you want them to just be able to view your account’s data, you can initiate a collaboration with user ‘public’ from the My Account page.

This allows them to view Encounters and Marked Individuals of your account, but it does not allow searching or editing, etc.

Does this satisfy the need for them to see individual pieces of data? Or are you looking for broader permissions and login access?

Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason,

Yes, I only want the citizen scientists to be able to log in and view curated data - catalog only. Do I need to make my own ‘public’ user but with a different name to yours?

Thanks again,
Sue

Hi @sue_mason

Just a collaboration with the one “public” user account will do it. It will be automatically accepted and set to view-only.

Thanks,
Jason

Thanks again, Jason.

If I use the one ‘public’ user account, what password would I provide my Citizen Scientists with and will they be able to access my projects only, or will they have to filter somehow to see the Port Philip images?

Thanks for your patience.
Sue

Hi @sue_mason

Can you give me a sense of how many citizen scientists you’re thinking about?

Sharing with the public is meant to share links to individual points of data, such as the URL to an Encounter or an individual, but it doesn’t provide access to searching or bulk data review, which are behind login. Generally, we’re under pressure to protect researcher’s catalogs on Flukebook (but our other platforms are much more open), so we’d love to learn more about your interaction with citizen scientists.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason,

I’m looking to invite the passengers on our local tour boat to be ‘casual’ citizen scientists and contribute images taken during trips. Contributors may be a one-off, or there may be ‘serial’ contributors who are regulars on the tour boats. I began a pilot of the program over our winter and a couple of the contributors wanted to know more about thier image and the dolphin they had photographed. They clicked on the link that they were sent by Flukebook, but of course, could not access an account. Consequently, I’m worried that if they don’t get some connection/‘reward’ to their encoutner they will not contribute in the future.

My research assistants and I will be entering the images, after checking that the image meets our quality criteria. The citizen scientist’s email will be entered into Flukebook as part of the data entry by the researcher to ensure that the contributors is credited for the image.

I support the protection of researcher catalogs and data, but is there a way that we could:

• allow tour operators (5 local operators) view-only access so they can access a catalog of dolphins

• allow citizen scientists access to some data on individual dolphins that they have photographed but they don’t necessarily need all of it, maybe the last few encounters only???

Thanks again,
Sue

Hi Jason,

Just wondering if you have any further thoughts on how I can deal with ‘casual’ citizen scientist contributions as per my last message.

Thanks in advance,
Sue

Hi @sue_mason

Apologies for the delayed response.

This one is feasible, and I recommend you give each of them their own account with a view-only collaboration.

• allow citizen scientists access to some data on individual dolphins that they have photographed but they don’t necessarily need all of it, maybe the last few encounters only???

Unfortunately we don’t have limited information display when displaying animal profiles to the public. The best way to expose that data is through the Collaboration with user ‘public’ to expose the catalog URLs (but it doesn’t allow the public to log in or search data), but it exposes everything owned by the collaborating user account.

Thanks,
Jason

All good, Jason. I’ve been snowed under too so didn’t have time to look further into it.

I can definitely make an account for each of the tour operators. I fully understand and appreciate the limited information displays to the public.

Thanks for the suggestions and responses.
Sue

1 Like