French language for ACW

What Wildbook are you working in? ACW

We’re going to be onboarding some new users from Cote d’Ivoire. They would like to be able to see the system in French. I remember that @jason mentioned at the Wild Dogs United conference that it’s definitely an option to turn on French language for the platform.

So I’m formally requesting that now, please.

What is the potential impact, if any, on the functionality of the system? I would think none but I wanted to check if we’ll need to plan for testing to ensure that no other functionality has been affected by this change.

Thanks!
Maureen

cc: @PaulK

Hi @ACWadmin1

Happy to turn this on. Are you OK if we do this in two phases?

Phase 1 would turn on the French translations for the main interface, but the landing page and other customized elements may still appear in English. This is a single line configuration change.

Phase 2 would be a second pass to get translations in for the landing page and other customizations.

Would this work for you?

Thanks,
Jason

1 Like

Hi @jason, that sounds great. Do you want me to supply the translation for the main pages? Happy to google translate it :wink:

Hi @ACWadmin1

I can do the google translate. No problem. :slight_smile:

We will implement this change after your workshop.

Thanks,
Jason

1 Like

Perfect! Thank you very much!

M

Hi @ACWadmin1

French language support has been turned on, and I did a first pass looking for missing keys and translations. Missing translations will show up as “null”. If after selecting the French flag you still see content in English (e.g., for bulk import instructions) then we have never internationalized that part of the interface, and there is no translation available (i.e. not a bug).

Thanks,
Jason

1 Like

Thanks @jason. I’ll have a look around. Regarding the bulk import screens, it’s fine because that’s covered in one of our user guides which I’ll be translating shortly. So it will be covered. Once people understand how to navigate those screens, the only thing they really pay attention to is the colour-coded “Bulk Data Import” review screen.

Thanks for doing this!

Maureen

Hi @jason,
I had a quick tour and everything looks good so far on the main pages our users visit most regularly.
One item that I need to address is a translation of the ToU & Privacy policy. I’m guessing the best option would be for me to provide you with a dual language version - i.e. English first then French below, within the same doc. I’ll work on that when I’m back from Africa and send it once it’s ready.

Next, it looks like the home page translation comes from Flukebook not ACW. It mentions Flukebook at the beginning of the description paragraph in the middle of the page and the stats list total # of ID’d whales and dolphins, not carnivores. Can this be changed to a French version of what’s on the ACW home page? Do you want me to provide that?

Lastly, and least important, are the sections under Learn. If I provided translations, would they be able to be displayed on the French version of the site?

That’s it for now; I don’t see any other obvious discrepancies.

Thanks!
Maureen

Hi @ACWadmin1

I did a pass at removing the Flukebook text in the French translation. Can you give it a look?

Thanks,
Jason