Getting "duplicate" ID's in system

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? ACW
ACW
What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3)
WIN11
What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79)
CHROME latest
What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc)
Researcher
What happened?
getting duplicate ID’s for some individuals

What did you expect to happen?
System will request a merge/ resolution of issue

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue?
See if there are any duplicate ID’s in system belonging to the same user.

Search query was

@ACWadmin1

I think this may have been a holdover from the bug that caused bulk imported marked individuals to get added to a new page even when one already exists for them. The bug has since been fixed, but it looks like these were uploaded prior to the fix.

I’ll let you know when the records have been merged.

We’ve merged the pages LP-BA-05M so there’s only one individual page with all of the encounters on it. Thanks for catching this!

1 Like

Thank you.

We do think we have found out how this is happening.

https://www.awesomescreenshot.com/video/23460368?key=22180015ddfe7dec34d9f3bbb2beb30e

Instructions for fixing manually:

Steps to fix duplicate IDs:
Open one of the duplicate marked individual pages - the one with the least number of encounters assigned.
Copy the name/ID (so that you can paste it later)
Open each of the encounters assigned to that individual
Go to the Manage Identity section and click Edit
Scroll to the “Remove from Marked Individual button” and click it
Refresh the page - keep each tab for each encounter open
Repeat the above steps for each encounter from that same Marked Individual page
Once all encounters are removed from an ID, that ID no longer exists in the system. So once all encounters from a duplicate ID are removed, the duplicate ID no longer exists.

Now you can go back to each of these encounters and use the “Add to existing individual ID” field, paste the ID into that field, wait for the ID to appear in the dropdown menu and click on the ID in the dropdown menu.
Now the Add button will turn blue, meaning it’s active, and you’ll be able to click on it and the encounter will now be assigned to the single instance of that ID.

Repeat until encounters are assigned.

Courtesy of @ACWadmin1

Thanks

Paul

That’s definitely a possibility for how it can occur, but that’s not what happened in this instance. All of the Encounters I checked on each Individual page was associated with a bulk import belonging to the same user. This tracks with what I’ve seen of this recently resolved bug: https://github.com/orgs/WildMeOrg/projects/4/views/2?pane=issue&itemId=28976410

Additionally, all of these encounters we uploaded this August, when the bug was still unfixed.

Yes, this is re-written from our Merging FAQ, which I shared with @ACWadmin1 in this post.

Hehehe! Yes, that was all @Anastasia!

I think this bug is still present in the Wildbook for Lynx, which is better to open a new Topic or to continue with this?

Thanks

Go ahead and create a new topic and you can link to this one for reference. Thank you!