Giraffe Sport - bulk import no detection

What Wildbook are you working in?
Giraffe Spotter

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?
I have done 2 more bulk imports, but unfortunately again all the images are still waiting for detection.
Can you have a look please what went wrong?

name: frederikeotten
admin for Luangwa

Thank you!

Hi @FrederikeOtten

This bulk import did get stuck. I re-ran it through detection and then kicked off bulk ID.

I can’t find another one that got stuck in detection. Can you please send me a link to it?

Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason,
3 bulk imports are stuck again in detection. Can you have a look please?
Wildbook for Giraffe (giraffespotter.org)

Hi @FrederikeOtten

It was the same issue as before. There was an extra space after "thornicrofti ". I will work to build in extra tolerance for trailing spaces, but until I can, please double check your bulk imports for that trailing space on the species.

I pushed these two bulk imports through detection, and they are now ready for you to push them through ID.

Thanks,
Jason

ok great thank you. Will check on that again next time.
Now the next issue is that none of my bulk imports, has done any identification/matching. And it has been days…

Hi @FrederikeOtten

Are any still stuck?

thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason,
yes i think so. I am just confused about the matching. When you have done a bulk import, is the system not supposed to match it automatically to an individual and then actually match the giraffe and give it the same name as the matched giraffe? Or do I need to go through all the encoutners in the bulk import and match manually?

Hi @FrederikeOtten

There are two phases. After your bulk import is complete, you should be given a button that says “send to detection”. It looks like all of your bulk imports have moved past this point.

After detection has completed for all images in the bulk import (drawing the bounding boxes around the animals, predicting viewpoints, etc.), you should see button that lets you send the bulk import through ID en masse.

Bulk import ID can take awhile, depending on how many annotations were found by machine learning and how many other annotations they are matching again. As they start, ID jobs will then be available in the right column of the bulk import with a clickable link to the matching job, which may not yet be complete when the link appears.

All matching occurs in a queue, with jobs waiting on the jobs ahead of them before starting.

Please let me know if I can clarify the matching process further.

Thank you,
Jason

thanks Jason, totally got it so far.
So to actually match the giraffe you need to click on the right column, start a matching job and then compare the one suggested and choose the same giraffe yourself? Giraffe Spotter does not do the matching job for you then?

Hi @FrederikeOtten

That’s correct GiraffeSpotter only suggests potential matches, but it will never modify data and make the assignment. The final decision is left to users.

Thanks,
Jason