Hi @Anastasia ,
I reran 90 sightings now, and only 2 pictures are with candidates. All others are without any.
I am reruning more, but I have been waiting for more than half an hour, while they are still not moving.
In my opinion, it doesn’t need more test to confirm there is an error… Just look at the ratio now, 2/90 with candidates…
I will wait and see if I can work out more, but I really think it is better to check what is wrong on your side.
Thank you so much. I am really in a hurry
Thanks for the update! We’re reviewing this from our side and I’ll let you know what we find out as soon as we have some answers.
Great, thank you so much
Cross the finger and wait for your response
Thanks for your patience. It looks like there’s an issue on our side that could be causing this. We can reset the jobs so that they can re-run correctly, but I’ll need you to give me the URLs for the encounters with the missing match results. Since it sounds like there are a lot, you can send them in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hi @Anastasia ,
Thank you so much!
There are 90 sightings that I know for sure without candidates. I can send them now.
There are also 2800 more still in the state of “queued behind 0 jobs”. Should I rerun them and confirm they are without candidates before I send you? I expect to find almost all of them without candidates. It looks to me no need to waste the time to confirm, but just send you.
And would you please explain the URLs? Are they the website for each sightings? Are they the front pages or “view the results” pages?
By the way, some sightings are with an error:
Step <Progress(guid=e97a4b42-1cb6-44c1-be1d-7415eaef334c, description=‘Sage identification for Annotation UUID(‘c3584800-b878-44b9-95cc-03cc833467f0’)’, status=failed, percentage=4, eta=4.0, active=False, complete=False, skipped=False, failed=True, skipped=False, created=2023-01-31 13:10:42.275120, updated=2023-01-31 13:10:57.450429)> failure: “(‘annotation.list get failed to parse json response from Sage’,)”
As an example:
I tried to rerun them, but still showing the error after rerunning.
Are they relevant to the issue on your side? And what should I do them?
The sighting URLs like this is perfect (https://zebra.wildme.org/sightings/5d8411f6-14f0-428c-82f9-5d6f9ac3ce39).
If you can make a list and send them in an email, that would be great. Go ahead and send me the full list of sightings without match results, even if they haven’t been re-run.
Great, thank you. I will send you a very long email, with around 2900 sightings urls. Does it make it easier for you if I have them in an excel sheet?
Sure, no problem, @xie.bing!
Hi @Anastasia ,
A strange thing happened. When I look into my sightings today, some of them were without candidate are now having candidates. Although it only happened on 5/100 sightings, but it really did. I am confused. Should I still send you the list of no candidates sightings? Or I can just wait and see.
That’s good news! If there are any encounters that still have errors with matching, you can still send them over.
OK, thank you…
I have tried on other “queued behind 0 jobs” sightings now. After re-run, some of them will show the result, and all of the results are without any candidate. But several days later, some of them will change from no candidates to having some candidates.
Is there any “block” on your side, causing this “gradually releasing the real result”? Could you please try to solve it, so that I can have the result as soon as possible, other than just wait for the luck.
Oh, a bad news :(. I can’t open zebra codex now. @Anastasia
Our servers appear to be down right now. I’ll look into what can be done about the matches when they’re back up.
Sorry about the wait. You’ll still need to send us a list of URLs for any encounters with missing match results. If you’re not able to re-run them manually, then we need a list from you in order to reset those jobs.
OK, @Anastasia ,
I have sent you an excel sheet by email, named as “send back to reboot_test_Bing”. There are several different status in it, including “no candidate”, “part of no candidate”, “error for sightings”, “error for match results”, and “queued behind 0 jobs”.
Errors means I can’t open the url, and it shows like: An error occurred. An unknown error occurred. If the problem persists, you can report this error on the Community Forums.
Let’s reboot them. Then I will rerun them to see if it works.
Thanks for sending those over! I’ll let you know once those have been reset. Zebra is struggling with a 900 job backlog right now so it may be a little while.
Thank you… please be hurry…I am really anxious to have the result. My whole phd relies on it, and I don’t have much time. Having the result of individual recognition is the first step to do everything else. After the recognition, there will be step 2 and 3 and 10. Yet I have only half a year to finish everything…Please really help me to get the result as soon as possible, I am crying for it.
Hi @xie.bing. I wanted to give you a status update so far:
We were able to find a new bug in Zebra Codex based on the list of sighting errors you provided. Those sighting pages now load correctly and matches are currently processing.
3 sightings have broken images in the match results, which we’re working on fixing. They’re rows 31, 41, and 53 in your spreadsheet.:
53 of the sightings currently show “no match candidates”. We’re also working on those because it looks like those are skipping detection since the results come back immediately instead of joining the queue.
Great . Thank you so much for trying to solve the problem! Hope to see the result correctly shown soon. After we succeed on the 100 sightings I already sent, there are another 2800 sightings to be dealt with, resetting or so… That would be quite a bunch of work. Thanks in very advance!