Identification problem Giraffespotter

In which Wildbook did the issue occur?
Giraffe spotter
What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3)
MacOS Big Sur (Version 11.7.4)
What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79)
Chrome 126
What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc)
What happened?
I have been having problems with the identification process on giraffespotter. For the last week I have been trying to send my pictures to identification. I have send them to the AI idenfication for the Pilanesberg site, however the pictures seem stuck - as I have waited for at least an hour multiple times and none of the picture have come through, they are only standing as waiting in queue as 2 or 4 or as queue.
I will send my spreadsheet to the mail aswell.

Thanks in advance,
What did you expect to happen?

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue?

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to with the email subject line matching your bug report

Hi @Juliegott, welcome!

Thanks for sending your spreadsheets; they look good to me.

There’s a massive queue in GiraffeSpotter right now, so it will take a little while for those re-sent ID jobs to complete.

Hi @Juliegott

I was following up on this to verify your imports completed ID, but it looks like all of the encounters from each of your imports were deleted manually. For future reference, you can delete a bulk import with the Delete Import Task button below the import table.


Thank you for this. I was deleting my previous imports as I was wondering if these were making the queue longer…
I have tried to import again, but I am still not getting any identifications through

Can you link to the import you’re having trouble with so I can take a look?

Yes - of course, Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks for the link! Wildbook finds match candidates based on species and location ID. The location ID has to match exactly with one of the locations in the drop-down menu in the Report an encounter page or on the Location section of the encounter page itself. It looks like the location ID was entered as “Pilanesberg” instead of “Pilanesberg National Park”. This doesn’t prevent ID from completing, but it does mean it will only look for candidates that have the location ID entered in the exact same way.

However, I suspect what is actually contributing to the long wait times are that the bulk import page isn’t automatically looking for matches within your location ID by default, but all locations in GiraffeSpotter.

Can you try deleting this import, updating the Encounter.locationID field in your spreadsheet to Pilanesberg National Park, and then before sending your import to identification, manually selecting “Pilanesberg National Park” from the menu (screenshot below)?

Thank you! I have now changed the sheet and resend them, and it seems like things are happening :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds good! Let me know if anything is still misbehaving. The next Wildbook release for 10.3.0 should have a fix for bulk import identification sending matches to the correct location by default. For the time being, manually selecting the location ID from the list before sending to detection should cut down on ID time.

Thank you for all the help, Anastasia. I have one question though, now that I have completed the ID process, but I think it is more a question of me not knowing how…
Once the Identification has completed, it seems there are only matches from my own import, to my understanding they would be matched up with all previous import, also using others data, from the site, is that correct and how would I see those, then?

It looks like of all 13,650 encounters in Pilanesberg National Park in GiraffeSpotter, only 57 are of Giraffa camelopardalis and so far, you’re the only one who’s uploaded encounters of this species in that location.

Of those 57 encounters, it determines around 30 are candidates based on the numbers I see on the match pages I looked at for your recent bulk import (this number varied between photos):

Since we don’t have many encounters of Giraffa camelopardalis and you’re the only one reporting them from the park so far, it explains why the match candidates are all from your own uploads. You could try selecting additional location IDs from the bulk import page if there are regions surrounding the park to increase the candidate pool. If you’re on a PC, hold the Ctrl (Control) button on your keyboard while you click on locations to multi-select. If your’e on a Mac, you’ll press Cmd (Command) while you click with your mouse.