Image display - straight, then skew then skewer

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? ACW

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3) Win 10

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79) latest chrome

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc) researcher

What happened?
The encounter image is straight, the match results is skew, and the inspection is…“skewer!!”
https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=8e20ba40-35fd-4926-aedc-85856ea4344c

What did you expect to happen?
Image not rotating

Hi, @ACWadmin1 !
Just to clarify, the issue here is the rotation, not skew in the sense of stretched image dimensions, correct?
Thanks,
Mark

Sorry, yes, it’s orientation not technically “skew”. It’s just the term my researcher and I have been using. Clearly incorrectly ; )-

It’s fun tho, right? The image being oriented differently in each instance. I thought so. If it’s gonna go wrong, go wrong in a fun and interesting way…

cheers
M

Hi, @ACWadmin1 !
Quick update on this one: the original media asset uploaded was sideways (I was almost tempted to say skewed haha). Looks to be that the encounter media gallery on the encounter page correctly interpreted EXIF data on the photo saying that it was sideways, whereas the iaResults page did not.
I’m testing it out currently by stripping the EXIF data, rotating the photo, and then resubmitting. There’s a pretty massive bulk import going on currently, so hopefully we’ll have some results … at some point lol.
I’ll update you then!
Cheers,
MF

ummmmmm… yeah, that’s my hyaena bulk import for prepping data for Drew to develop PIE v2 for the species. Sorry about that. And thanks for the update.

cheers
M

No worries! Y’all are doing your job!
-M

1 Like

Hey, @ACWadmin1 !

Ok! I’m happy to report that stripping the EXIF data, rotating, and re-submitting has the correct image orientation for both the encounter image and for the one seen when matching in the iaResults.jsp page: Wildbook for Carnivores.

This feels very eerily similar to something Colin found on Seadragon the other day: SeadragonSearch annotation/match results issue - #6 by ChrissyTustison

He identified some software that is effective at rotating images in a way that won’t further confuse our poor ID algorithm, which I’ll reproduce here:

Stripping off the bad EXIF data: View Exif data online, remove Exif online

Rotate the raw image again and save: Rotate image online.

So, any time y’all end up needing to rotate an image for whatever reason, that would be the software I’d recommend to use for it.

Does this mystery of “skew” feel solved to you? :wink:
-Mark

Hi @MarkF - that’s really helpful, thank you. Definitely solved as much as it can be - I haven’t been reviewing the photos before upload so far bec they are supposed to have been previously curated. Clearly some issues got missed so I guess I’ll have to review all photos going forward, prior to upload. Fun!

thanks
Maureen

Hi, Maureen!

Oh no! I find myself wondering whether just seeing what goes wrong with which images might actually be less work than pre-screening. In any case, I’m glad to hear this helped!
-Mark

1 Like