Image upside down

What Wildbook are you working in? Grouperspotter

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?
Is there a way to change an image so it is not upside down? It is difficult to check matching this way and seems to maybe effect the detection?

Can you provide steps on how to reproduce what you’re experiencing?

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Hi @accfish

It looks like either the image was submitted to us upside down or the EXIF data in the image is suggesting the rotation. The way to fix this is to delete the image from the Encounter, fix the rotation of the image in a graphics program, and re-add it to the Encounter at the corrected rotation. Detection should ne re-run when the new image is added.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi @jason is there anyway to easily export the image from the system first so we don’t have to track it down somewhere else? And then fix the orientation and reupload it?

Will the detection/matching not work as well if the image is not upright. For instance we have others that look like this and I have noticed that is tries to match similar orientation. Grouper Spotter - Citizen science and facial recognition for grouper

Hi @accfish

On the Encounter page, click the image to expand it. It should fill the browser. You can then right-click it to download it via your browser’s normal image download and save process.

You can expect detection and matching not to work well on this. Not only is the pattern rotated 180 degrees, causing it to look entirely different to HotSpotter during ID matching, but the detector, which I don’t believe was trained on upside down fish, is likely to find the fish but mislabel the viewpoint (left vs right), which may as well lead to bad left vs right matching.

Thanks,
Jason

Ok great thank you. I will fix these manually as you described and we will try to avoid creating these images in the preprocessing of future videos. Thank you for the help

I was fixing some of the upside down images and I receive " Invalid encounterId=false"
error when I try to add the annotation to the new image. This was not an issue on the first three I did. Any ideas?

I have no idea where the first link came from. Do you have a link to the page you accessed it from?

The second link is to an Encounter. When I click “add annotation” on the image hamburger menu, I see the expected Manual Annotation screen:

Can you please tell me how to reproduce the first link?

It seems to have fixed itself. I appeared when I tried to run match on a new annotation. But match results are working now so must have run the detection.

1 Like