Individual with images on multiple sides

What Wildbook are you working in? grouperspotter

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?
More of a general question: if we have have multiple images of a nassau grouper, from multiple sides, is there a way to connect them as the same individual?

There may have been a mistake on our end during the bulk upload process. Currently, we have all the images on the site, but we never linked any images that came from a single grouper, but on multiple sides. Is there any way we can correct this? Would we need to reupload these images and have them listed together as a single individual somehow?

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Great question.

If you know they’re the same individual, you can always set the same ID on the Encounter with the left photo and the Encounter with the right photo on each Encounter page.

Ideally, however, if you know in advance that both left and right are the same individual on the same date, you would use multiple mediaAsset columns on the Encounter row in the bulk import, such as Encounter.mediaAsset0 and Encounter.mediaAsset1 to reflect that both photos (i.e. left and right) are part of the same Encounter of the same Individual.

Thnks,
Jason

Awesome, thanks @jason,

This would be the occurence ID?

I think we may be more inclined to setting image ID’s to be the same.

To track down the correct photos, we have a list of image names that we know are matches with one another. Can we search for image names on the grouperspotter site?

Otherwise, for the second option: could we reupload the excel dataset, with the updates to the Encounter row, and that would update what images are from the same individuals on the site? Or does that only work for new uploads and images not already uploaded onto grouperspotter?

Thanks,
Bryant

This would be the occurence ID?

No, just by being listed in the Encounter.mediaAssetX (0, 1, 2, etc.) columns on the same row (each row is an Encounter), the lefts and rights and any other photos are associated as belonging to the same individual at a point in time.

Can we search for image names on the grouperspotter site?

That is not currently supported. It has been requested a few times, so we’re definitely considering it but is not currently there.

Otherwise, for the second option: could we reupload the excel dataset, with the updates to the Encounter row, and that would update what images are from the same individuals on the site?

Bulk uploads are not refreshing. Reuploading the same spreadsheet would create duplicate data, one version with the old spreadsheet and one with the new.

If you want to reupload with changed columns, first delete the old bulk import (deleting all of its data) and then upload the new one as an entirely new set of data.

Thanks,
Jason

Could you elaborate on this? I think I’m misunderstanding.

By Encounter page, do you mean a page like this one (Wildbook)? If that is the case, what do you mean by the ID? There are a lot of different IDs on the page, and I think I’m a bit confused on that as well.

-Bryant

Hi @BTran

I think it would be worth reading about the basic data constructs of Wildbook.

https://docs.wildme.org/docs/researchers/overview#wildbook-terminology

An Encounter is one animal at a point in time. It can have zero or more photos of an individual, such as this whale shark Encounter.

https://www.whaleshark.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=569e34c3-4e9c-4e04-8461-91a0b00320b3

An Encounter page also allows you to set the ID for that Encounter, and the ID then applies to all the photos and metadata incorporated under that Encounter. Setting the ID can be done in the Manage Identity section of the Encounter page:

Alright thank you @jason,

We were confused about the ID because there were so many types (alternate ID, occurrence ID, etc…).

This helps to clear things up,

Thanks,
Bryant

1 Like