Koala Viability Support Thread

Hey everyone!
As the team begins working through annotating koala photographs, we’re setting up a thread here for any questions you may have. Some basic guidelines to make it easier for us to answer your questions:

• What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?
  • Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?
  • Can you provide steps on how to reproduce what you’re experiencing? If possible, include screenshots.

We’re super excited to get this process going!
Tanya

Koalas?!! Super cool.

2 Likes

What Wildbook are you working in?
I believe it is currently called Koala Viability.

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?
http://104.42.42.134:5008/turk/detection/?gid=543&imgsetid=None&refer=dHVyay9hbm5vdGF0aW9uLz9haWQ9MyZyZWZlcj1kbWxsZHk5aGJtNXZkR0YwYVc5dWN5OF9aMmxrUFRVME13PT0mYWlkPTM=&refer_aid=3

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?
I am practising putting bounding boxes around koala images, and before I keep going, I’d like to clarify how best to separate annotation boxes of the entire koala, from what I think should just be identifiable areas for pattern matching. There are two areas on koalas that I think could help: one is the nose; the other are the spots commonly on koala rumps (spotty botties!). I can’t seem to be able to change the designation of, for example, the nose area as a “part”, but I notice in Colin’s example this has been done. Apologies for such a noob question!

Can you provide steps on how to reproduce what you’re experiencing?
I can draw multiple bounding boxes on an image, starting with the entire koala, and then specifically around the nose and rump, but I can’t designate the latter as “parts”, which I believe would be the correct designation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am seriously so excited about this project!

Cheers,

Rob

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Hi @Rob! Welcome to Community!
I moved your post to this thread because we’re going to try to group up all questions and answers during the viability study. It makes it easier for anyone you bring onto the project to find questions they may run into.

Regarding the request: we absolutely can set you up to do part annotation as well! We will get that going and provide instructions on how-to here as soon as we get it set up :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tanya

Thanks so much Tanya, much appreciated on both fronts (the move of the post and guidance on part annotation). I take it I should wait to continue any annotations then?
Cheers,
Rob

Hi @Rob ,

Sorry for the delay on a reply, we had a big deadline and a bug to fix on the annotations interface.

In order to draw a box around the part areas, first draw the annotation box for the whole body. This should show up in green.

If you right click this box, it should become selected and turn red. With this done it’s easier to select the viewpoint and species ‘koala’ from the dropdown. This selection of the body annotations is the key to making the part annotation boxes.

With it still selected and highlighted in red you should be able to draw more annotation boxes around the nose and bottie (ha!). These parts can will have their own viewpoint slider, which doesn’t need to be used unless there is some contortion going on. It also has another species dropdown. The dropdown now includes “koala+nose” and “koala+spottie_bottie” for these part annotations.

We had a bug saving these part labels, but I’ve gone through a few images and had no further trouble so you should be ready to go.

For the spotted area on the rump you use for identification I’m having trouble envisioning where it should start and end, so I’ll wait to label any more of those until you have a few examples in the system!

I hope this is helpful. Let me know. We are excited to see how this project moves forward also.

Thanks! Talk to you soon.

Hi Colin,

Thanks so much for the detailed guidance and looking forward to giving it all a go. Sorry I took a while to respond too. Re: the spottie botties, I think you are right, it’s probably not always going to be a ‘fixed’ area per se (i.e. the size of boxes might vary between individuals and camera angles). Is that a problem do you think?

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob,

I don’t think it’s a problem at all. When capturing an area like this you just want to contain whatever portion of the image has useful information no matter how large or small. The viewpoint does become very important here, so you are not comparing a left side of the spottie bottie to the right ect if that’s all that is visible.

I’ll keep an eye on your annotations for cues on what portion is useful.

Thanks!