Leopard Shark ID's Processing Time

What Wildbook are you working in?
Wildbook for Leopard Sharks

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?
The ID processing time for the leopard sharks is pretty slow, and I was wondering since changing the amount of spots allowed in one map if this was expected or unexpected.

Can you provide steps on how to reproduce what you’re experiencing?
Run a scan task for one of the unidentified leopard shark spot maps.

We are wondering if there is an optimal amount of spots that should be placed? How much time should be reasonably expected to run one image? If it would be helpful, I can time some of the searches and provide the results here. Thanks so much for your time and assistance!


Hi, @JaneAV and @AFlam !

I found this post while looking for older unanswered posts. Apologies that this slipped through the cracks!

Are you folks still having issues with this?

If I recall correctly, the improvement with regard to spot mapping was simply to limit the number of spots that a user can designate, since the algorithm essentially involves permuting the number of triangles that can be drawn between the spots; this number grows insanely quickly and can rapidly become… computationally intractable.

So there’s definitely a happy medium between drawing too few to be useful and too many to be responsive. I believe we have set the limit on the higher bounds of that happy medium. Hopefully I remembered this correctly @colin and @jason ?

There is, however, also the issue of how burdened the server is by running other matches as well, etc. So it’s entirely possible that a lot of jobs were being processed at the time.

In any case, please let us know if this is still an issue.

Hey! No worries, I’m behind on here as well.

The limit is at 50 spots, which is usually pretty close to the number of spots most leopard sharks have in that area. So I’ll just keep placing spots until I hit the limit or run out of spots if that maximum is already set to about where it’s optimal (if we’re better off erring on the side of slightly fewer spots mapped than 50, let us know). If I’m only uploading a single shark, I haven’t found it takes too long to spot map.

I haven’t been doing a ton of matching, but I have found that it’s still quite slow. I haven’t timed it, but it has taken more than a few hours, which means I’d usually have to come back a day or two later rather than completing the match the same day.

Hi, @AFlam !
I’m out on vacation currently, so I’ll defer to @colin or @jason, but I believe fewer than 50 might be ideal.

I’m a little less familiar with spot matcher than some of the other algorithms we use in our various Wildbook instances, so I’ll also defer to Colin or Jason here in terms of what to expect for speed.