Location filters for matching Carcharias taurus

What Wildbook are you working in?

Sharkbook

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?

The ‘nearby matches’ for Wolf Rock (and potentially other sites) filters by Wolf Rock and ‘BI’ which is Broughton Island – further south in New South Wales.

The C. taurus population along the east coast of Australia is migratory north/south, and highly connected, so the Australia (Pacific Ocean) would be a useful ‘nearby match’ location filter for any site along that coast.

It won’t necessarily matter right now, but as Western Australian images etc come in, it will definitely help to refine matches by population.

I’m updating this to a feature request instead of a support request so it can be reviewed by our Director of Product.

Editing to tag @tanyastere for visibility

1 Like

Hi @simonjpierce !
Thanks for the request. This is actually already supported by the way the “nearby matches” function is generated. I will detail the steps needed for you to see these results.
Basically, if there is a match made between two locations for a given species, those locations are used for “nearby matches” in all future match sets. So if you look through the general matches and find a match in the existing population between the locations, you will have set this up to work the way you want it to. Easiest way to do this would be to upload two encounters from these locations for a known individual and match them right away.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Ah gotcha. That’s a neat way to do it – thanks for explaining!

Thanks, @tanyastere!

@simonjpierce I’ve added the info Tanya shared to the Matching Process help doc in case you need to reference it again in the future.