Lost Coordinates at Export (Spotting Giant Sea Bass)

In which Wildbook did the issue occur?

Spotting Giant Sea Bass

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3)

macOS Monterey 12.2.1

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79)

Chrome and Safari

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc)

Admin

What happened?

When I export the giant sea bass encounters excel file, some latitude and longitude coordinates are blank for sites that have correct coordinates in other encounters/rows. Is there a way to fix this?

What did you expect to happen?

When I export the file, I have all the coordinates for each encounter.

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue?

Export the Excel file (any format) and look at the latitude and longitude columns.

Thank you!

Can you send me an example search that has encounters with latitude/longitude coordinates? The few I randomly selected didn’t have any.

Yes totally! When I export the Excel file:

Search → Encounter Search → Search Encounters → Export → Standard Formal Export or Export Encounter Search Simple.

When you open the excel sheet, a lot of coordinates are missing. Is this because these are only the coordinates that the users submitted and not the actual location ID coordinates? Is that the difference between these excel sheets and the “exported Excel Spreadsheet in OBIS format with locale inclusion for unreported GPS?” If so, then there is no issue haha.

Thank you for all of your help! I greatly appreciate it.

Ah, thanks for clarifying!

Yes, that’s correct: If a submitter didn’t include the exact coordinates with their upload, then the latitude and longitude fields for that encounter remain empty in the spreadsheet export, even if they selected one of our existing Location IDs.

That’s right. :smiling_face: