Manage Occurrence Assignment

What Wildbook are you working in? African Carnivore Wildbook

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred? Wildbook for Carnivores | Login

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?

I had to change the occurrence after realising I made a mistake. The initial occurrence was OTF_PP_Bushveld Bivouac_2022_5_28_18_32 but it should be OTF_PP_Bushveld Bivouac_2022_5_28_18_22

I have 3 encounters that I need to change the occurrence of. I was able to do it for one but not for the other two. It gives me the attached error (see image). As you can see, I remove the occurrence so non are assigned and I tried to add the correct occurrence but it does not let me.

Can you provide steps on how to reproduce what you’re experiencing?

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Hi @Marine_Ingwe

Your image didn’t attach. Is this the error message you see?

Updating this to a bug report. Even if I try to search for OTF_PP_Bushveld Bivouac_2022_5_28_18_22 in ACW, it tells me it doesn’t exist, despite the error messages not letting you reassign it because it says it’s already there.

I need more time to see if there’s a workaround for this. If not, I’ll follow up with a ticket number.

Thanks for your patience. We were able to assign the occurrence ID to your encounter. Can you give me the links to the others you wanted to rename with OTF_PP_Bushveld Bivouac_2022_5_28_18_22?

Hi Anastasia,

Thank you for the help. Please may you add the following two to the same occurrence as above?

No problem! I’ll follow up once they’re ready.

All fixed! Apparently the issues was that there was a space in between Bushveld and Bivouac instead of an underscore. I’m sorry I didn’t catch that earlier.

The error message we saw not being descriptive of what the actual problem was didn’t help. :sweat_smile:

I made a ticket to fix the error messages so that they’re easier to understand: https://github.com/orgs/WildMeOrg/projects/4/views/2?pane=issue&itemId=58863788

Hi Anastasia,

I don’t think the space was an issue as I have many occurrences with a space for the locality name.
If you look at this bulk import for example, you will see there are spaces in most of the occurrences. In the ACW bulk import spreadsheet, underscores are not needed for the locality.

This is what was relayed to me when I researched this with my teammates. We already know that bulk import has mixed results with underscores being treated as a special character. I’m not surprised w’re seeing the same thing with imported occurrence ID names.

In testing when I wrote up the ticket, spaces in occurrence IDs were automatically converted to underscores, as well as mixed use of spaces and underscores. Both resulted in underscores in the saved ID. What I suspect is that Wildbook not converting the space to an underscore triggers an error once that ID is later edited.

In any case, the ticket to make the error message more accurately reflect what the actual problem is should help us better troubleshoot this if it ever comes up again in the future.