Manual annotation offsets after 2nd click in Add annotation screen

What Wildbook are you working in? ACW

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?
Encounter: Wildbook for Carnivores | Login
Add annotation screen: Wildbook for Carnivores | Login
Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?

I was trying to add an annotation on this dog:

And when I clicked on the 2nd corner of the annotation, it set itself way off to the right of the image:

I think this may be related to the fact that the media asset is fairly “tall”; not a standard image ratio of height to width, if that makes sense.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this?

thanks!
Maureen

Hi @ACWadmin1

This is likely code in conflict with EXIF rotation values, and we hit various situations where we need to trust the EXIF and situations where the EXIF has been modified in such a way that we can’t. I saved the photo without EXIF data, uploaded it to the Encounter, and I was able to draw what I think was the intended bounding box after uploading it as a test to the Encounter you reference above. If you hit this frequently, it may be worth digging deeper on our side to understand the nature of this conflict and see if it is a case we need to support, but EXIF is the not-actually-a-standard for which we find a lot of weird edge cases, especially around image rotation. :frowning:

If infrequent, saving the file without EXIF is a good workaround.

@jon

Thanks,
Jason

1 Like

I figured it was something like that. With the volumes of images we see in some sightings, we don’t always catch issues like this pre-upload but we should add it to our list of “ACW Image prep Tips & Tricks”.

thanks!
Maureen