Map of sightings - shows "6" but only 3 pins

Happy New Year, Wild Me team!!!

What Wildbook are you working in? ACW

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?
Ex1: Wildbook for Carnivores
Ex2: Wildbook for Carnivores

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?
I’m assuming this is expected functionality but I’m not sure I understand why it’s designed this way -
In the 2 example URLs above, these link to 2 Marked Individuals. Each one has multiple encounters assigned to it. When I look at the map in ex1, I see the numeral “6” but when I zoom in, there are only 3 pins on the map. In ex2, I see the numeral “9” but only 4 pins on the map.

I’m confused as to why the numeral displayed on the zoomed out may doesn’t match the # of pins on the zoomed in map.

thanks
Maureen

Hi Maureen,

Quick summary: some of the Encounters have identical GPS coordinates (I confirmed by looking at the data feeds), and the pins are sitting on top of each other.

Gory details: at various points, Wildbook has used “spiderification” to help visually separate exactly overlapping pins in Google Maps. Over time, successive Google Maps API changes have broken the third party libraries we used to slightly stagger (“spiderify”) the map points.

It would be good to look anew at more recent changes in the Google Maps API to see if spiderifying is natively supported, but the good news for now is that the data is there and not missing. Given that identical GPS coordinates are almost always recorded with the same date (camera traps are an exception) the overlaying of pins shouldn’t interfere with seeing the animal’s path of travel.

Thanks,
Jason

Cool, thanks @jason. I have to say, I really appreciate the quick response and the details from both you and @colin olin, especially under the ‘low priority’ umbrella! I guess I just got lucky and beat the crowds a bit this morning.

thanks again.
Maureen