Match results filter

What Wildbook are you working in? Internet of Turtles

I just submitted a turtle encounter that I’m certain is already in our database. However, when I ran the Match Results, it didn’t return any matches. Then I did a visual match manually, found the exact individual, and eventually merged the encounter.

Here is the individual that we just submitted. At first, the annotation was slightly off and only covered the top of the face, so I edited it to cover the left side of the face. Wildbook

Do you think the lack of a match could be related to the photo I submitted? The image has a slightly different aspect ratio compared to the other photos, eventhough the quality itself is very good. Does the image composition affect how the matching algorithm works? For example, should we crop the photos more consistently, such as focusing only on the face, or could there be other factors that might cause the algorithm to miss an existing match?

Hi @giliconservation

The IA class labels for both annotations are incorrect, which is likely why you didn’t see the correct match.

This long, skinny annotations is labeled for the head, which it’s not actually placed over.

And this annotation is labeled for the body when it’s actually only focused on the head.

Additionally, that annotation around the head isn’t oriented correctly. The delete and edit icons are sideways instead of upright, so it’s not making a 1:1 comparison against other annotations that are oriented correctly.

I’ve deleted the body annotation and edited the head annotation and restarted the match. Now INGM0737CM shows up as the top match candidate: Wildbook

Thank you!