Match Results not showing all results

What Wildbook are you working in? MantaMatcher for Guitarfish

Hello! After the newest interface update, we can’t replicate the “Match Results” page. It used to show all four match results (“guitarfish” annotation matched with MiewID, “guitarfish” annotation matched with Hotspotter, “Rostrum” annotation matched with MiewID, and “Rostrum” matched with Hotspotter), but now it will only show one match result at a time.

In addition, we can’t switch between the algorithms- if you select the “rostrum” annotation and view match results, it will only show the MiewID result and we can’t get to the hotspotter result. Please advise on how to view all four match results!

Hi @FLManta

Can you link to some encounters you’re seeing this issue with so I can look into it?

Hi @Anastasia! It looks to be all encounters that have been previously matched (up until the ones that are auto-detecting forever), but here are some links to encounters that are experiencing this:

Thanks for the examples. It looks like something went wrong in the detection/ID workflow where your bulk import started to process identification before detection completed:

I’m going to restart detection and then re-send to identification and see if you get better match results after that’s squared away. I’ll check in again shortly.

Quick update: I need more time to look into this and get it sorted. Thanks for your patience.

Hi Anastasia, I was just wondering if there were any updates on this! I appreciate you looking into it.

Thanks for checking in! While the identification on the first import I looked at (Wildbook) did complete, it’s only showing the matches for both annotations in MiewID and Hotspotter when identification is restarted manually from the encounter. If you view the rostrum annotations for any encounter from that import, you should see the MiewID/Hotspotter results on the bodies and rostrums.

For this import (Wildbook) most of the ones that failed detection were very close crops of the guitarfish. Our detector across all Wildbooks will struggle when the visible part of the animal takes up the full frame. I’ve manually annotated the ones that didn’t go through detection and sent this import to identification.

For the smaller import (Wildbook), I manually resent these to ID with Hotspotter and MiewID selected. This should also give you the collective match results you’re looking for.

I’ve also asked the devs to turn Hotspotter back on as a default algorithm for guitar fish imports. Most of the team is traveling this week, so I may not have a confirmation on this until next week. I’ll update here as soon as I confirm it’s back on.

This should be turned back on now! Let me know if you run into trouble with any new imports.

Hi Anastasia! Hotspotter is back on as a default algorithm- thank you so much! Sorry about the super zoomed in rostrum images as well. We had started this photo ID project with another software that required a close rostrum image, but we’ve lost a lt of the original images since then. Later encounters should have less of these!

I am still unable to see all four match results by clicking “match results” while the rostrum box is selected for the first two bulk uploads referenced in your response (Wildbook) and (Wildbook).

I think it may only be true for encounters where only the rostrum box is present (like this one: https://mantamatcher.org/react/encounter?number=2c85dcbb-04a7-4b9f-b2e8-082c3209125a) because other entries in both bulk uploads that have both boxes never generate all 4 results even when I click match results with the rostrum box selected- for example: https://mantamatcher.org/react/encounter?number=26261cae-1efd-4b23-afd4-f67b38d1eb15. (This is only showing one match result for me- the MiewID result for the rostrum box).

I have already cleared my cookies and restarted my browser.

Thank you!

I think you’re right. I just tried resubmitting this entire import and I’m only seeing the body annotations matched with both MiewID and Hotspotter while the rostrum is only showing MiewID results. Let me check in with my teammates to make sure the Isettings are configured correctly. Sorry for the churn.

No worries! Thanks for your diligence!

Thanks for your patience! There was a misconfiguration in the image analysis file for this species and it’s been corrected. I’ve resent this previous import to identification as a test to verify things are working correctly. When it’s complete, it should show 1) improved match performance and 2) both MiewID and Hotspotter for each annotation class.

Let me know if you see anything else amiss.

Sorry for the churn. It looks like I’m only seeing MiewID running on the re-sent import. I’ve made a ticket for this here while we keep working on this: MantaMatcher - Guitarfish matches no longer displaying both Hotspotter and MiewID results · Issue #1787 · WildMeOrg/Wildbook · GitHub

In the meantime, you’re welcome to manually restart matching on any encounter that still needs to be identified to run both algorithms.