Matches for leopard sharks

Hello,

When I run my IDs through GridSoftware I usually get no matches. Is there a way for the system to show me the top 10 matches or top 20 matches so I can visually look at them? At the moment I aren’t able to see what the closest match is.

Many thanks

David

What Wildbook are you working in? Leopard Sharks

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing? Information

Can you provide steps on how to reproduce what you’re experiencing?

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Hi David,

The Modified Groth algorithm (as implemented by us) has a hardcoded floor score of 2.0. That is an extreme minimum of - I think - one animal spot matched in two triangles of spots. That filter was put in place after analyzing whale shark matching data and seeing no known matches below that number. If no results are displaying, no potential match existed above score 2.0.

I’ll put in a request ticket (WB-1496) to switch Modified Groth and I3S results to a top-50 list versus one with a score. However, I can’t give a timeline on when we might have time to look into it.

Thanks,
Jason

H Jason,

Thanks for the reply and it would be great if I could manually check the sharks against the top matches. I’m concerned matches are being missed. My concern is that with the designated spot pattern area for the leopard sharks being so large, how very spotty they are, how large the ‘spots’ in Wildbook are (some sharks are so spotty they are a sea of yellow) and, the limited number of spots we are able to use that a) it is extremely open to a researcher’s spot selection to make a match b) that so many sharks are not being matched because of this.

I wonder if there is a way to test if the spot ID is matching sufficiently? I try to match using my spot ID method but I am pretty confident the same individuals are slipping through as different sharks because of the above.

Any advice maybe about reducing or changing the spot are size and location or about spot mapping would be appreciated.

Kind regards

David

Updated ticket link: Switch Modified Groth and I3S results to a top-50 list · Issue #277 · WildMeOrg/Wildbook · GitHub