Matching process only working within my own list of individuals

No, I’ve only done one bulk import so it appears within the same bulk import.
Something I should probably mention:
Because it was my first bulk import, I had put all the pictures in one column under “Encounter.mediaAsset0” and then all the rows. However, sometimes it was a burst of pics of the same individual and the AI couldn’t find that some of them were related to the same individual so I had to set it manually. To do this, I just clicked on the Encounter page and linked this encounter to my already created new individual.
It worked properly at first but then, the new individuals created were not appearing on the drop-down menu. So I had to set a new individual on the encounter page and then it would appear properly in the drop-down menu.

Here for instance, neither individual 15, 21, nor 23 are appearing on the drop-down menu even though they are existing. If I want to link one of my encounter to those existing individuals, I have to “set a new individual ID” just above.

So it could explain a part of the problem. However, even when I had all my individuals in the drop-down menu, I had the issue of the duplicate. But this time, instead of not having it in the drop-down menu, I had the same name twice. But this was a fixable issue by going on “View my individuals”, clicking on one of my individual profile (the first one of my duplicates for instance) and then, on each picture associated. This way I was redirected on each encounter page and could set all the pics on the same individual (choosing the second one of the drop-down menu for instance).

I don’t know if it’s going to help but I found it maybe useful to mention these two cases.

Oh ok thanks and sorry. It’s just that I don’t know how to add a new location ID for the identification function to work with, without deleting my all bulk import and having to put new locations ID directly in the spreadsheet associated to this bulk import.
Indeed, I only have two options in the drop-down menu before sending to identification: “Caribbean Sea” and “All locations”.

That’s helpful context; thank you!

You’re right; I had forgotten that you can only manually update locations when you re-run a match from the encounter page.

Let me see what I can find out for you.

1 Like

I just confirmed that bulk import won’t let you do what I suggested. Being able to refine the location the new match is run can only be done at the Encounter level. :smiling_face_with_tear:

I hope to have an update soon on why Canopener isn’t coming up as a match for CCS_Pm_0001

Thanks for your patience. The reason your match results are limited may be because it’s only searching for exact location matches for “Caribbean Sea” instead of the Caribbean Sea and all of its sub-regions.

You can try re-running identification again on the entire bulk import for all locations. It will take a long time, but this way, Canopener should appear as a match candidate for CCS_Pm_0001.

Hi again @Anastasia !

I’ve tried what you said about running it worldwide but the first results don’t seem to give the right results. It’s still searching for matches within my own bulk imports (against 800ish candidates). I’ve also tried to increase the number of results displayed but it’s still my own photographs.

It’s really weird though because I even tried to precise the location ID from Caribbean Sea to Dominica at the encounter level for CCS_Pm_0001 and it doesn’t match with Canopener neither (If you want to take a look, it’s encounter cef13e10; 2021-05-23 at 9am).

Thanks for the detailed update! I’m going to keep experimenting with matches on this encounter until we can see Canopener as a match result. I’ll let you know as soon as I figure it out.

Edited to add encounter link for my reference

Good news! Either the latest match attempt worked or it was there all along and we were looking for the wrong name in the results. :sweat_smile:

Canopener’s page:

CCS_Pm_0001’s match results for the above encounter:

Hi @Anastasia !

Yes, actually it’s because I went on the encounter page of CCS_Pm_0001 and I changed the location ID for Dominica instead of Caribbean Sea as you said and this way, it appears in my results (matching against 21000ish individuals).

What is really cool is, since I changed the location from Caribbean Sea to Dominica for 1 of my encounter, then it appears in the drop-down menu at the end of the bulk import page to resend to identification. So I did that and it worked pretty well for my first bulk import.

I was super happy and kept doing the same thing for my three others bulk import but now, it’s just stuck and don’t give results anymore (there are still the same messages as earlier about “attempting to fetch results” so I was just keeping hope and waiting for results as you suggested the last time but it’s been 5 days since I relaunched the identification and nothing’s changing.

I’ve just tried to re-run the identification task on one of my bulk import (n°356fb9dd).
So for now I’m just waiting and fingers crossed !

1 Like

Hi there!

I’m sorry to contact you again but I’ve been waiting for a week now for the results of the identification process and it’s still not working. I don’t know what to do anymore.

I’ve restart the identification process for my four tasks about 10 days ago to match against the DSWP catalog with the Dominica location ID. The first bulk import gave me the results but from there, the three others haven’t worked. It’s been launched the 23th of March. When I clicked on the encounter pages, it displayed the following message in red: “there was an error with task … unknown error”. So that’s why, I retried to start again the identification for one out of my three “not working” bulk import but now that I’ve been waiting four more days, the same message is displaying again.

For the last of my bulk import, the beginning of my bulk import displayed the red error message but at the middle, it tells me that the identification process is still going on (but maybe in few days, it will also display the same message since it’s what it happened for the others bulk import).

So I don’t know what to do anymore because I think this is a pretty abnormal waiting time. Do you have any idea how to fix this ?

Best regards,
Louise.

Hi @lsimon

There was maintenance performed on the Flukebook server earlier this week:

Can you link me to the specific bulk imports you’re still having trouble with and email the spreadsheets that go with them? services@wildme.org

1 Like

Hi @Anastasia !

Thanks for the update ! I hope it will work next week though !

I’ve just sent you the excel files and below are the link to the three bulk import having trouble to process the identification:

1-Flukebook | Login
2-Flukebook | Login
3-Flukebook | Login

Thanks for your patience and your help !

1 Like

Thanks for that!

Your spreadsheets for these imports look good.

I know there’s been some unfortunate timing on troubleshooting due to server issues on our end this month. I’m really sorry about that. I’m waiting to hear back about when the latest server restart is complete so I can see if the match issues on these imports were part of the 2600 corrupted identification jobs or if we just should delete these 3 bulk imports and re-upload them.

1 Like

Ok thanks a lot! I hope it will be fine next week :slight_smile:

I just have few more questions:

• If we have to delete the bulk imports but we already matched and named some individuals within; does flukebook is going to keep the images and information linked to the individuals or delete it all ?

• Do you have any idea about why sublocations are not taken into account in the Caribbean Sea location ?
    I’m super happy that it worked with the Dominica location ID but I was just thinking that there might be more matches between CCS catalog and other organizations within the Caribbean islands but I couldn’t see it, except if I’m running the identification process for each sublocation of the Caribbean Sea.

• Did you manage to understand why there are some duplicates of the same name for an unique individual ?

Once again, thanks a lot !

I resent these three imports to ID again this morning using all locations. There’s a long queue already due to the server restart, so these should be complete by the time you check on them again next week.

No, deleting your bulk import means starting from a clean slate. So any matches to marked individuals and any other data that wasn’t uploaded to your spreadsheet would need to be redone. That’s why I want to be sure I exhaust all other options first before we take this step.

Here’s what I recently learned about that: Wildbook will only run identification for the exact location you put in your bulk import spreadsheet. If you want to expand the location range, you can re-run the match on the encounter level and manually check the boxes for the additional regions to include. Or you can choose “all locations” when you send to identification from the bulk import page, with the caveat that it will take a long time to run, but will be easier for you than manually sending each encounter from the import to matching.

I confirmed this was a bug that’s also present in other Wildbooks. I know it’s being worked on, but I don’t have an update yet on when it’ll be resolved.

Just wanted to follow up and let you know these imports are showing match results now. I spot-checked the first three encounters of each bulk import and verified that matches are displaying normally. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Anastasia !

Yes, I’ve seen that yesterday and I finally finished the identification of all my bulk imports !! Thanks a lot for all your help :wink:

I’ve just a tiny little last question:
In the results of the identification process, I only have the results of the DSWP and I don’t have the ones from Felicia Vachon which was doing her PhD on sperm whales in the Lesser Antilles. I’ve checked for her name on the Encounter Search page and I found some results but it seems that they are not linked with the species Physeter macrocephalus which could explain why I haven’t seen them in the results of the identification process.

Do you have a way to fix this on your side or do the only way is for Felicia Vachon to relink her photographs to the good species directly on the spreadsheet of her bulk imports ?

Have a good day,
Louise.

I think you may need view collaboration with her in order to see the the location and taxonomy in a search. I did the same search and I can see that her encounters are all for Physeter macrocephalus across different sub-regions of the Caribbean Sea.

Do you have an example of one of your encounters that you think is a match for one of her whales that isn’t in your match results?

1 Like

Ok, thanks a lot! I’ve just sent her an invitation.

No, I don’t have any example, I was just wondering if maybe there would be some matches between CCS individuals and hers :wink:

1 Like

Sounds good!

I’m in the process of updating our documentation that will describe ways to merge two known individuals without having to go through the match page first. I hope to have that published by next week.