Missing submitter ID causing duplicates in new ID uploads

What Wildbook are you working in? ACW

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?
Example of an assigned encounter w/o a submitter ID: Wildbook for Carnivores | Login

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?
A user reported finding duplicate Marked Individuals in the system. The example she sent has been fixed, WAM1903 (Blue), but I suspect the cause of the issue still exists in many Marked Individuals’ encounter records, if I’m correct about the cause.

I believe the cause of the problem was a blank submitter ID field in the original ID’d encounter records that were uploaded by @jason way back in April 2020. All these records have a “managing researcher” but no submitter info.

Now all of our bulk imports include the submitter ID. Earlier this year, we uploaded a batch of new images of at least one existing ID’d individuals (WAM1903) with the submitter ID field populated, which is what I believe caused the duplicate Marked Individual record.

I’m worried that future bulk imports for this organization could run into the same problem. Is there a way to script in the population of the Submitter ID field for these records, based on the name of the managing researcher, so we can avoid this issue going forward?

thanks!
Maureen

Hi, @ACWadmin1 !
I took a look at WAM1903’s four encounters, and they all look to be owned by a user with initials GC now.

So, there’s a slight distinction between SubmitterID (which, unless my brain is not working right now, which is totally possible, is not visible to users) and name in the Submitters list (which is visible in the encounter page). What you know as managing researcher is the submitterID (i.e., the “owner” of the encounter).

So, if you were seeing Jason as the managing researcher, unless something suuuper weird was happening (not at all impossible), he was likely also the submitter ID.

If you are able to find another duplicate that you can bring my attention to on this thread before editing it, I’d love to have a look and see whether there’s something I can do system-wide to fix these types of duplicates.

As for the second part of this post - regarding populating submitter ID with managing researcher during bulk import - I am under the impression that this is already happening (but would be happy to confirm if you send a recent bulk import encounter that you’re curious about my way).

I imagine what you’re really wanting is to populate the Submitters list with at least the managing researcher, which makes sense to me.

After I get confirmation that this is what you’d want, I’ll check with the team to make sure that there isn’t a good reason this hasn’t already been implemented, and we may add it to the support and/or feature list.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!
-Mark

1 Like

Hi, @ACWadmin1 !
Just checking in on this thread.
Hope you’re having a good Monday!
-Mark

Hi @MarkF - happy Monday! I think this issue / thread is at least related to this one: 2 identical marked individuals? - #3 by ACWadmin1
List copied here:
MBF1712 (Aspen) - 1 has 1 encounter, the 2nd has 1 encounter
DBF1403 (Suntan) - 1 has 5 encounters; the 2nd has 2 encounters
MNF1702 (Hillary) - each record has 2 encounters
MNF1706 (Mallory) - each record has 1 encounter
MNM1704 (Chiounard) - each record has 1 encounter
MNM1711 (Anker) - 1 has 3 encounters; the 2nd has 1 encounter
Sishen - 1 has 1 encounter; the other has 2 encounters
Abel - 1 has 9 encounters, the other has 1 encounter

I reviewed each of the encounters in this list of duplicates from that ticket and found that they all still exist, except Suntan who was duplicated due to 2 different submitters, which I’ve now fixed.

Interestingly, Anker now has 3 individual records in the system instead of 2, ugh. So the problem may be getting worse, although I may have mistaken my listing of the # of individual records per name.

Note that the missing submitter info that I was referring to above is in the Contact Info section of the encounter records - example here: Wildbook for Carnivores | Login
The submitter contact info should be the same individual as the Managing researcher as it is, in other records: Wildbook for Carnivores | Login
All of the encounters that are missing that submitter contact info appear to be from the original ID uploads done by JH back in April 2020; maybe the user wasn’t set up in the system at that point? Maybe his info wasn’t complete in the upload files?? No idea. All that said, not all individuals uploaded back in April 2020 by JH have duplicate ID records. Red herring, maybe.

The reason I think these 2 tickets might be related is that I’ve found a large # of the encounters on one of the dupes for each animal have no submitter info in the contact info section, although they do have the GC user as the Managing Researcher. The set of encounters in the 2nd duplicate Marked Individual record for each set does have the submitter info in the contact info section of the encounter records along with the managing researcher - both are the same person - GC.

That may be a red herring. I have no idea what else could be causing these duplicate marked individuals since the Managing researcher in each is the same for all.

Any assistance you can provide would be very much appreciated, as always!

best
Maureen

Hi, @ACWadmin1 !
For the time being, I’m going to tag the related post of 2 identical marked individuals? as encompassing this thread as well and mark this closed.

If there ends up being a separate issue having to do with submitterID that’s also creating duplicate individuals, I’ll open this back up and give it a ticket number.

Thanks,
Mark

1 Like