Mistaken pictures uploaded to an Encounter

What Wildbook are you working in?
Whaleshark.org

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?
https://www.sharkbook.ai/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=18923ba1-c0bd-4f83-b45a-04a28ff61413

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?
I have reported one encounter but believed I uploaded pictures of two different individuals mistakenly and would like to have access or help to correction. Thank you!

Can you provide steps on how to reproduce what you’re experiencing?
Please delete picture 2 & 3

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Hi @Charlottehuiying,

Thanks for reaching out.

Because this has been curated by researcher Sofia Green of the Galapagos Whale Shark Research Project, I can’t change the record without affecting her work. I will reach out to her and pass along this request.

Thank you,
Jason Holmberg

Thank you very much! I appreciate it! I see you’re doing a lot of answering & fixing. So thank you again for your hard work! I’m so grateful for what you guys are doing! Another question. I’d like to submit another encounter, which is from those two mistaken images. In this case, should I wait til it’s corrected in case there’s a mismatch?

Charlotte

1 Like

Hi Charlotte.

My name is Sofía Green and I am a researcher for the Galapagos Whale Shark Project.
Thank you very much for submitting your encounters. They are incredibly helpful in our studies for whale shark conservation.
I saw your upload the other day and ran the spot pattern mapping and when I did so I checked dorsal and caudal fin shapes to make sure it was likely the same whale shark. From that I believed it could be the same shark.

I see you want me to delete photos 2 and 3. Are you sure these were two different whale sharks?

Let me know and I will make sure to delete those images so you can upload the second encounter separately.

Best,

Sofía

2 Likes

Hi!!! Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly and to what your hard work as well!

Our guide Peter and I went back and forth comparing our footage and finally came to the conclusion that we sighted 2 different sharks! Please see pictures attached for the tails, remoras dorsal fins (pic 1) and the markings (pic 2)

But please correct me if I’m wrong!

1 Like

Hi Charlotte,

Good to hear you were on board with Peter. He’s a great guide!

Yes, these are definitely two different sharks. I will delete pictures 2 and 3 from the initial encounter you uploaded.

That leaves the encounter with only a right side ID. Which of the two left sides you uploaded here would go with that encounter?

Or let me know if it is easier if I delete the encounter all together and that way you can upload both encounters with their respective photographs and info.

Thanks,

Sofía

Good Morning @SofiaGreen!

Ahhhhh I’m so excited to know that you guys know each other! But Yes! We loved Peter!!!

Let’s delete the encounter and I will submit both sharks today! Thank you so much :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Charlotte

1 Like

Hello again @Charlottehuiying

Super. I have deleted the encounter and will process your new encounters once they have been submitted.

Thank you as well :smiley:

Best,

Sofía

1 Like

Gracias @SofiaGreen!

I have gone in and submitted both sightings! Can’t wait to get them ID-ed so I could adopt them :shark: :heart:

Cheers,
Charlotte

1 Like

Hey,

Happy to hear you want to adopt them :smiley:
Both sharks have now been photoID and they are both new to the catalogue!
Two last questions for you. I see you selected male for both sharks. For the 6m estimated shark I can see his claspers, however for the other shark these are not noticeable in the photograph. Were you able to sex them underwater?
Also, you mentioned it was 65degrees F. Those are cold waters for Darwin which may be so due to La Niña conditions. How did you measure the temperature?

Thanks,

Sofia

Hi @SofiaGreen,

Sorry for the delayed response!

Yay! So happy for both of the shark to join!!

Thank you for questioning the sex! I thought I knew how to identify the gender but after some digging, I found out I’m wrong! I wasn’t able to sex either of them… Could you please change it to unknow?

As for the water temperature, I mixed it up with another cold dive! Just confirmed in my computer, it was 73.4 °F.

Thank you for checking in!

1 Like

Ok perfect. Thank you Charlotte!

1 Like