Multiple encounters lumped into a single record?

In which Wildbook did the issue occur? ACW

What operating system were you using? Win 10

What web browser were you using? latest chrome

What is your role on the site? admin

What happened?
I need to move encounters from one individual (Kylami) to another (Kyalami). So I went to the one encounter listed in the search under Kylami. It’s an encounter record that looks like it was part of Jason H’s original upload of named individuals to ACW back in April.

The problem is that multiple different images in the gallery appear to be tagged as “this encounter” even though they appear to be in different locations, even different seasons.

https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/encounters/encounter.jsp?number=6c0ae2de-c795-4288-bfc7-bd68c0e9ce88

What did you expect to happen?
Several of these images should be different encounters but are not. Even though they may all be images of the same marked individual, shouldn’t there be less images associated with this single encounter record?

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue?
Go to that encounter record and hover over each of the images in the gallery and see that a number of them are showing as “this encounter”. There is a distinct green habitat in a few as opposed to a distinct brown habitat in others, all marked as “this encounter”.

Hello,

This was one of the earlier imports to the system. The data was provided to Wild Me this way inside files like dogsWithID.xlsx, which contained ~330 rows, each to an individual and containing anywhere from a couple up to thirty or so images from various sightings. This can be useful especially when establishing a matching baseline. I believe other imports were blended by Jason H from sparse metadata as well.

The import review page shows the same for the other encounters from the same file:
https://africancarnivore.wildbook.org/imports.jsp?taskId=e81eafb9-11bc-4f2e-afbe-8f530087745b

Thanks.

Hi Colin,

I’m sorry but I don’t understand (also I don’t have authorization to access the link you sent re: import review page). Shouldn’t different pics from different times always be treated as separate encounters? How could multiple images from different times all be the same encounter?

thanks
M

Hello,

If you log into the platform elsewhere and then visit that link you will have access.

Yes, encounters should have a sense of date and time if at all possible. This data was provided to us without that however. It’s source is the cropped images by individual ID folders in Dropbox, which we were asked to import.

It’s still useful for photo ID on these animals since it provides many examples that have a known ID, but there is no metadata beyond that and no way to know which images belong in different encounters or together.