What Wildbook are you working in? ACW
What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?
Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?
The above bulk imports were sent to detection about 45mins ago. The timing says 3mins is the average processing time per job. That hasn’t changed since I sent these to detection.
#1 bulk import link above was sent to detection first; then I uploaded #2 and sent that to detection just a few minutes later.
Neither is showing any detections completed so far. I’ve sent both spreadsheets to the services @ email address.
These spreadsheets were generated via a script to export the data from the organization’s internal data management system. A test last week didn’t have any issues so I’m hoping the spreadsheet isn’t the issue but I’ve sent them anyway, as this export function will be used to get all of their data from their system into our Wildbooks. If changes to the export are needed for these to work properly in this platform, I need to notify them asap.