Photo Upload Issues in MM

In which Wildbook did the issue occur?
Manta Matcher

What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3)
Unknown (this was reported to me by someone else)

What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79)

What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc)
I’m admin, but this happened to a public submitter

What happened?
They received an error (see screenshot above) saying 413 request entity too large when they tried to upload a new manta encounter. They assumed this had to do with their photo sizes. I’ve asked them for more information about file types and sizes, and will update when I hear back.

What did you expect to happen?
The manta encounter to be submitted.

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue?
Try uploading a test encounter

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

1 Like

Thank you @AFlam !
I await the photo to test out! Incidentally, is this the same user from this post?:
Unable to upload, it says 413 Request Entity Too Large - #2 by MarkF?
-Mark

I’ll let you know when he gets back to me with the information on what he was uploading. It looks like the Indonesia team is having the same issue, but this one is a different person trying to upload mantas in Maui

1 Like

Hi, @AFlam !
I reproduced your issue with one of the two images you emailed me yesterday.

With the second image (20210614_MR_Mb_M_0642_VentralID_AF_DE3A5734.jpg), I was able to resize it to roughly the same size as the other, smaller image (20210614_MR_Mb_M_0642_VentralID_AF_DE3A5732.jpg) and submit successfully with no “request entity too large” error.

These two images do seem a bit large for us according to the photography guidelines.

I am a little suspicious that so many different people are all of the sudden reporting this same issue, so I would not be surprised if something else were going on here. But I was able to solve the problem put in front of me in this case simply by resizing the image.

I’m eager to see whether this solution works for you, too.

Thanks for continuing to work with me on this one!
-Mark

Hi, @AFlam !
Any follow up to this?
Thanks,
Mark

Hi @MarkF sorry you caught me during my holiday. I haven’t re-tested this yet. I’ll start resizing my photos. When did these rules come into effect? I haven’t had issues with photos of this size before.

Also, can these size guidelines also go on the individual wildbooks? People coming to Manta Matcher aren’t going to know to look on the WildMe website for photo size guidance.

Hi, @AFlam !

I’m not sure what changed that seems to have necessitated the photo size restrictions; we did update both the software and the actual virtual machine that manta matcher lives on maybe a month or so ago, so I would not be surprised if that was the cause.

I’ve created a ticket for adding size guidelines to mantamatcher. It’s being tracked internally as WB-1761, and I’ll follow up here when it’s been implemented.

Thanks,
Mark

Hi @AFlam

Can you please try again? I increased the maximum allowed file size in our NGINX to something well above what we might expect from normal photos. I tried it with a 5 MB image and had no trouble submitting.

I am hoping this resolves it.

Thanks,
Jason

1 Like

Hi, @AFlam !
May I mark this as resolved? Thanks!
-Mark

Yes, this is resolved for me. I would like to know what the max allowable/optimal specs are currently set at for MM, so I can make sure we’re setting up our photo exports correctly.

Hi, @AFlam !
Manta matcher currently accommodates image uploads up to 100 MB per encounter.
Thanks,
Mark

1 Like