Problem matching

In which Wildbook did the issue occur?
Amphibian & Reptile
What operating system were you using? (eg. MacOS 10.15.3)
Windows
What web browser were you using? (eg. Chrome 79)
Chrome
What is your role on the site? (admin, researcher, etc)
admin, researcher, orgadmin
What happened?
I was trying to match larvae from this project Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook | Login
It seems that Wildbook is not running proberly. I tried to match several pictures and always only get 1-2 suggestions (i know that this sometimes might be the case, but should’t always be like this, or?). I also get the error “something went wrong fetching the inspection image”.
What did you expect to happen?

What are some steps we could take to reproduce the issue?

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Hi @LauraSchulte

HotSpotter will present 0 or more results to a match query. If only one or two of the matches have a score above 0 (evidence of texture correspondence), then only two will be displayed. You can see how many images were matched against here on each results page. Here is an example:

In that comparison, only two photos within the project had a shred of evidence of corresponding texture out of 305 candidates, so HotSpotter is only presenting those two. As long as it is not missing a match, this is excellent filtering of false positives.

I also get the error “something went wrong fetching the inspection image”.

Can you please send an example link?

Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason,

I know that HotSpotter will not force extra results, to me it just didn’t look like coincidence with that many individuals that I tried to match and only receiving one or two results when I in most cases get the default 12, but ok.

And here is one link for the error Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook

Thanks, Laura

Hi @LauraSchulte

Can you screen capture which error you’re seeing? I see normal results and can click “inspect” to inspect the results.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason,

in the screen shot that you sent it says “against 305” candidates. However, there are 315 pictures in the project.

And here is the screenshot with the error message again:

Thanks, Laura

Hi @LauraSchulte

The difference between 305 and 315 can be:

• missed detections

• low confidence detections

• incorrectly predicted viewpoints

All of these are common situations in working with machine learning.

Unfortunately, none of the links I have from the thread above show the screen capture example with a score of 13.492. Can you please send that example? When I look at the other links, I do not get that error message and can see the “inspect” link and click it to see the matched hotspots.

Thanks,
Jason

Hi Jason,

I was trying to send it to you, but then the error did not occur anymore.

however, I have another error showing up now in all larvae that I am tyring to match which is " there was an error with task a391195c-09a8-46ec-a538-5c554c8a672c: unknown error"
I don’t get any suggestions and always only this error, for example here:

or here

Both of these examples belong to this project:
Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook | Login but I have the same error in other projects.

Best,
Laura

Hi @LauraSchulte

This is a separate issue that I have resolved on our side. The Linux virtual machine needed a restart to resolve domain names. With that restarted, I was able to re-run the matching:

Thanks,
Jason

Now it works again, thanks!

1 Like