Problems with accessing projects and Search functions in ARW

What Wildbook are you working in?
Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?
The students Sean Grond (sean.grond) and Saskia Ebert (saskia.ebert) @Saskia.Ebert with the roles of “researcher” and “org.admin” have troubles accessing the projects " Botanical Garden Bielefeld Adults" and " Botanical Garden Bielefeld Surroundings Adults". They are not able to use the Encounter Search function, nor can they add bulk imports to these projects or access encounters submitted by the other person. They have previously encountered this problem and I had resolved it by giving them admin roles. However, as this was inappropriate, we changed their roles back to org.admins and researchers. So, my guess is that this problem must have something to do with their roles. However, when @Barbara.Caspers created a test account, she was able to access the projects without a problem.
Could you please look into this?

Can you provide steps on how to reproduce what you’re experiencing?
See above.

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Cheers
Max

Hi @Max.Muehlenhaupt

Can you let me know the username of the test account Barbara used so I can research this further?

Hi Anastasia,
the test account is “Babsi” (Barbarella).

Thanks!

I suspect something strange with the roles, too, but I’ll let you know for sure once I dig a little deeper.

Hi @Max.Muehlenhaupt

It looks like the project encounters aren’t assigned to a user. This can happen when the Encounter.submitterID field from a bulk import is missing or incorrect. The submitter ID has to match the username exactly or it won’t assign it to anybody. If you enter the user’s first and last name instead of their username, it won’t accept it as a valid input. When this happens, the system won’t automatically assign imported encounters to the user who uploaded them, leaving them orphaned.

When you gave Saskia and Sean admin permission to work around it, this helped because admins can view and edit anybody’s encounters and projects. Anyone else with the orgadmin or researcher role can only edit their own encounters or those they have an active collaboration with. We’ve corrected this on the backend so encounters should now be assigned to the correct person.

Going forward, make sure everyone submits bulk imports with their usernames in the Encounter.submitterID field.

Thank you, @Anastasia . We will make sure to use our actual user names in the future!

1 Like