Question about matching in bulk import

What Wildbook are you working in?
Amphibian and Reptile Wildbook
What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?
I was bulk importing 4 photos of encounters of 2 post-metamorphic fire salamanders (2 photos per ind. roughly one year apart) in order to see if the AI is able to identify the same individual despite some changes in the colour pattern over the course of one year of development. During bulk-import, I assigned the encounters to the location ID “KF” so that matching would only be done against this location. No matches were found.
The I started another matching job within the project (“Fotoabgleich Ontogenie”) to which all four photos were added. Now, for each of the four photos, the three other photos were provided as potential matches with the correct re-encounter having the highest value. However, the matching was also only done with these 4 candidates in the project.
I’m a bit confused what this would tell me for large projects/bulk imports. Has the first round of matching not found the re-encounters because the re-encounters were within one bulk import (and thus matching job) or because it was done against >2,000 candidates? The second matching job was done individually for each encounter and only with 4 candidates.



Hi @Max.Muehlenhaupt

I wasn’t able to replicate what you saw with no matches being shown when searching by location only. I saw the same match candidates and rankings when I looked at the results by location (KF) and within the project (Fotoabgleich Ontogenie).

You should see match candidates within the same bulk import if the same individual is present in different encounters. Can you tell me if you’re still unable to see matches from this location only?

Interesting, if I choose “None Selected” under project Selection during the presentation of Match Results, I can now find the correct macthes as well.
Unfortunately, I haven’t made screenshots of the first round when no match candidates were presented.
Maybe the matching job wasn’t quite finished :man_shrugging:

So, yeah match candidates are shown either when selecting none or the project. But in both cases, the overall number of candidates is four. Whereas, when I checked the results of the first matching job against ~2000 candidates, no potential matches were shown.

Thanks for confirming! One common issue with trying to compare different match results like this is that we only show the most recent match results passed. So if you ran it by location, then ran it by project before the by location finished processing, it might have shown nothing while it was processing the second one instead.

1 Like

Alright, thanks @Anastasia .