Questions re: Additional Data Files

What Wildbook are you working in? ACW

On a Marked Individual page, there’s the ability to upload an “Additional Data File”. We’re thinking of using this for excel books that contain additional information about intensively studied and/or “managed” individuals. Before we do that, we have some questions:

1. Once uploaded, can they be downloaded or exported? If so, how?
  2. Once uploaded, can they be updated? If so, how?
  3. Would any of the data in these files be captured in a Wildbook search? (I’m thinking not but thought I should double check)
  4. Are there limits to the # of data files that can be uploaded to a given Marked Individual page?
  5. If a file with the same name is uploaded to the same Marked Individual page, what happens?
  6. If a file with the same name is uploaded to 2 different Marked Individuals, what happens?
  7. Are there file type restrictions? i.e. only excel, word, dat, …

Thanks in advance for your help!

best
Maureen

cc: @PaulK

Hi @ACWadmin1

Great questions. This is very, very old functionality, and I have seen no examples of it being used. However, I just tested it on whaleshark.org and saw it uploading, downloading, and deleting successfully. However old, it still seems to work.

1. Once uploaded, can they be downloaded or exported? If so, how?

Downloaded. Right-click in your browser and select “Save link as” (or similar command depending on browser).

1. Once uploaded, can they be updated? If so, how?
    No
  1. Would any of the data in these files be captured in a Wildbook search? (I’m thinking not but thought I should double check)

No

4. Are there limits to the # of data files that can be uploaded to a given Marked Individual page?
No. But given that this is little used functionality and we’re working to change the UI, I do not recommend using it extensively.

1. If a file with the same name is uploaded to the same Marked Individual page, what happens?
    On the file system, it is overwritten. The UI will display it as a second upload though. In other words, don’t upload two files with the same name.
  1. If a file with the same name is uploaded to 2 different Marked Individuals, what happens?
    This is fine. The files are uploaded to the marked individual’s folder and should not overwrite each other.

7. Are there file type restrictions? i.e. only excel, word, dat, …
Not that I am aware of.

Overall, we don’t recommend using this currently because I cannot guarantee that it will be available any time soon in the new UI, though now that there is some interest, I can bring it up with the team.

Thanks,
Jason

1 Like