Ranking of Candidate Encounters?

What Wildbook are you working in?
Manta Matcher

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?

I am wondering about why the tool says ‘cannot start match’. I am matching mantas visually, but each time I need to sort through every encounter in the Yucatán to find a match (if it exists). I have found matches after sorting through many individuals that are very obviously not matches. I thought that the most similar candidates would be suggested first, but that doesn’t seem to be happening. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong?

Can you provide steps on how to reproduce what you’re experiencing?
Open an unassigned encounter and search for a match.

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

Thanks so much for your time and consideration!

Hi @JVinesky!

We have a training video for MantaMatcher that demonstrates how to set up your images to kick off matching. To start a match, you first need to select “create optional feature region” instead of “add annotation”. You’ll want to do this in Firefox. I’ve found that the bounding box to select the feature region doesn’t appear in other browsers.

That green bar at the top of the feature region box should correspond with the top of the manta. Be sure to rotate the box if you need to fully capture its ventral pattern. Save your candidate region and then you’ll be able to start the match from the new candidate region image.

I don’t have much information on the ranking of visual matching aside from what’s in our help documentation. Since it was developed before we had computer vision available for matching mantas, I wouldn’t put too much weight on those rankings.

Hi Anastasia,
Thank you so much! I am so appreciative of your time and knowledge. I will check out the materials you linked.

Best,
Jane

1 Like