What Wildbook are you working in?
Wildbook for Sharks
What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred?
Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?
I’m using Wildbook for Shark to submit whale shark sighting report sampled from online resources. I started my work by submitting numerous unique sightings at which mostly can never be found in the Wildbook every week. Carrying out the identification for every of my submission. However, my submission of sighting report was recognized as spambot and could not resolved since yesterday. How could I overcome it as my submission is opportunistic based on how many I could sample in a week and submit the report for analysis.
Can you provide steps on how to reproduce what you’re experiencing?
Fill in all information of whale shark sightings and submit. Then, the webpage shows failed submission. I have try with other unique sightings but still in vain.
If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject line matching your bug report
Can you copy and paste the descriptions here that you are using? We have some amount of text matching used to prevent spam. It may be that some of your text is matching those filters. I just tried a test submission, and the form is otherwise working as designed.
“Semporna” is causing the spam filter to kick in because of the English word “porn”. Many years ago we put in some basic filtering because the submission form was being overwhelmed by links to pornographic sites and links to fake, online pharmacies.
Let me see if I can turn this off when users are logged in. I believe currently the filter runs whether you are logged in or not.
Hahahaha, alright. Thank you for your explanation. No wonder I tried to submit several WS sightings from Semporna (Sabah, Malaysia). All in vain and I feel a bit sad at that moment. I thought am I submit too much reports from different parts of Malaysia in the consecutive days.