Requested Edits to Report an Encounter page and Encounter page

What Wildbook are you working in? GrouperSpotter

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred? Grouper Spotter - Citizen science and facial recognition for grouper
Grouper Spotter - Citizen science and facial recognition for grouper | Login

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing? Need text edits; Removal of certain Encounter Level Traits and Addition of Encounter Level Traits to both pages.

Can you provide steps on how to reproduce what you’re experiencing?

Below is the description of what we need changed. I can add these as separate requests however I do think it is important to see it as a whole in order to make all of the changes correctly. Here is a Google doc link with the description of what we need changed in a potentially easier to see format. I have highlighted text changes in yellow, removals of items in green and Additions of Encounter Level Traits or other larger changes in blue. Changes to GrouperSpotter October 2021 - Google Docs

Details of what we need changed…

In Report an Encounter Form

Change “Encounter date” to “Encounter date and time”

Under Encounter location…
Change “Where were you” to “Where were you (Site name and/or location description)”

Next line can you change “Was this one of our location IDs” to
“What was the Country/Location ID of the sighting?”
Keep the current dropdown choices for this

Can you remove the “Country” line as this is repetitive from the dropdown above it. Or does Country also need to be separate?

Above the map can you add the line…
“You can enter a GPS coordinate below or place a point on map to generate GPS coordinates of your location. (please be as accurate as possible)”

Change “sea floor depth at site” to “Fish Depth”

Change “Status:” to “Status”
Remove the item “Projects (multi-select)” from the page.

Remove “Alternate ID”

Change “Observed behavior:” to “Observed Behavior”

Change “Noticeable scarring” to “Noticeable Scarring (description and location on fish)”

Measurements
Change “Size” to “Value”

Sampling protocol only has the choice of “personal guess” can you add “electronic measurement” as a choice as well for all “Measurements”. If you cannot add another choice can your remove Sampling protocol option.

Change “Water Temperature” to “Sea Surface Temperature”
Remove “Salinity” as an Encounter level trait
Add “Bottom Temperature” Units – Celsius as an Encounter level trait here
Add “Stereovideo Length” Units – mm as an Encounter level trait here
Add “Laser Length” Units – mm as an Encounter level trait here

Tags
Change “Physical Tags: Location: Tag number:” to
“Physical Tags: Tag side and color (eg. red, blue, unknown, etc)”

Change “Electronic Tag” to “Acoustic Tag” to match what is on the Encounter page.

Can a dropdown menu with specific colors and “unknown” be created for the left and right field for Physical Tags?

ENCOUNTER PAGE

Under Location

Changes should reflect changes made on Submit an Encounter page
Change “Set Location” to “Set Site name and/or location description”

Change “Set Depth” to “Set Fish Depth”

Under Identity
Change “Occurrence ID” to “Sighting ID”

Under Measurements

Change “Size” to “Value”

Sampling protocol only has the choice of “personal guess” can you add “electronic measurement” as a choice as well for all “Measurements”. If you cannot add another choice can your remove Sampling protocol option.

Under Tracking
Change “Metal Tags” to “Physical Tag (color)”

Under Attributes
Remove “Group Role” and “Patterning code”

Hi, @accfish !
Some of these we can do very easily; others, not so much. I’ll report back with a full response asap!
Thanks,
Mark

Ok thank you. I will wait to hear back from you on which changes are possible. We are waiting to created our metadata sheets for our bulk uploads until we are certain what information we will be able to submit and in which format.

Hi, @accfish !
This was all being tracked internally as WB-1816.

Here are my responses:

Change “Encounter date” to “Encounter date and time”

Done

Under Encounter location…
Change “Where were you” to “Where were you (Site name and/or location description)”

Done

Next line can you change “Was this one of our location IDs” to
“What was the Country/Location ID of the sighting?”
Keep the current dropdown choices for this

Done

Can you remove the “Country” line as this is repetitive from the dropdown above it. Or does Country also need to be separate?

Done

Above the map can you add the line…
“You can enter a GPS coordinate below or place a point on map to generate GPS coordinates of your location. (please be as accurate as possible)”

Done

Change “sea floor depth at site” to “Fish Depth”

Done

Change “Status:” to “Status”

Done

Remove the item “Projects (multi-select)” from the page.

Done

Remove “Alternate ID”

Done

Change “Observed behavior:” to “Observed Behavior”

Done

Change “Noticeable scarring” to “Noticeable Scarring (description and location on fish)”

Done

Measurements
Change “Size” to “Value”

Done

Done

Done

Done

Done

Done

Done

Tags
Change “Physical Tags: Location: Tag number:” to
“Physical Tags: Tag side and color (eg. red, blue, unknown, etc)”
Change “Electronic Tag” to “Acoustic Tag” to match what is on the Encounter page.
Can a dropdown menu with specific colors and “unknown” be created for the left and right field for Physical Tags?

Alas, this component is not readily configurable currently.

Change “Set Location” to “Set Site name and/or location description”

Done

Change “Set Depth” to “Set Fish Depth”

Done

Under Identity
Change “Occurrence ID” to “Sighting ID”

Done

Under Measurements
Change “Size” to “Value”

Done

Done

Done

Done

Done

Done

Done

Under Tracking
Change “Metal Tags” to “Physical Tag (color)”

No changes implemented (see above)

Under Attributes
Remove “Group Role” and “Patterning code”

Done

Thanks,
Mark

Thank you Mark. This is amazing.
So for Physical tag no changes can be made at all correct? You can’t change “tag number” to “tag
color”?
Assuming that is the case, can we put a note above physical tag (or Tag) stating
“If you cannot read tag number or see tag color of the Physical Tag please put “Yes” in the space for the side of the fish you saw a tag” If you can see the number or color please enter that detail."

Also, we would like to delete all imports from our Grouperspotter platform and start slowly one small bulk import at a time from a clean slate with appropriate metadata etc. However since the logs are deleted one month after imports we do not believe we have access to these logs to do the deletions ourselves. Is it possible for someone to clear all of the files from the platform for us?

Also under the Measurements section is it possible to remove the sampling protocol options from some of the measurements. Such as Stereovideo and laser length? If not it is fine. i just doesn’t make sense for there to be options from these two measurements as they would either need to be through lasers or stereovideo to apply. Not a big deal if this is a difficult task.
Thank you for all of your support!

Hi, @accfish !
My responses below:

Assuming that is the case, can we put a note above physical tag (or Tag) stating
“If you cannot read tag number or see tag color of the Physical Tag please put “Yes” in the space for the side of the fish you saw a tag” If you can see the number or color please enter that detail."

This should be doable! I just want to confirm that there’s a slight typo here. Did you mean to write, “… side of the fish IF you saw a tag. If you… detail”?

Also, we would like to delete all imports from our Grouperspotter platform and start slowly one small bulk import at a time from a clean slate with appropriate metadata etc. However since the logs are deleted one month after imports we do not believe we have access to these logs to do the deletions ourselves. Is it possible for someone to clear all of the files from the platform for us

This is doable. I will follow up with @BTran 's post about this soon!

Also under the Measurements section is it possible to remove the sampling protocol options from some of the measurements. Such as Stereovideo and laser length? If not it is fine. i just doesn’t make sense for there to be options from these two measurements as they would either need to be through lasers or stereovideo to apply. Not a big deal if this is a difficult task.
Thank you for all of your support!

Unfortunately, this is not easily doable at the moment.

Thanks, and I’ll report back when I’ve made the new changes, which are being tracked internally as WB-1840.
Mark

Here is a revision to the note above for tags.

“If you saw a Physical Tag but cannot see the tag number or tag color please put “Yes” in the space for the side of the fish the tag was in. If you can see the number or color please enter that detail in that space.”

Ok great we will wait to hear back from you about the deletion process.

No problem about the drop down on the measurement section.

1 Like

Hi Mark,
When formatting our metadata file. How do we include the sampling protocol options for the Encounter level attributes such as Bottom Temperature and Stereovideo Length. We are debating on whether it makes sense to just have a Length option for the Encounter Level Attribute and then in the sampling protocol dropdown menu having options for Stereovideo, Laser, Personal guess, Fish-in-hand…

Another associated question. Can you have different dropdown menus for the sampling protocol of the Encounter level Measurements?

Hi @MarkF,

Would these features be present in the bulk imports when we’re filling out and updating the metadata for the old grouper images?

Essentially, if I have laser lengths/stereovideo lengths that I want to add for grouper. Would that be filled out under “Encounter.MeasurementX”, or are there multiple unique columns for it? If it’s just the one column, How do I ensure the values I put in go to the right place?

In the same vein, if we want to have scar descriptions show up on under “Noticeable Scarring”, would we fill information in the bulk import under “Encounter.distinguishingScar”?

Thanks,
Bryant

Hi, @accfish and @BTran !
My updates below:

Here is a revision to the note above for tags.
“If you saw a Physical Tag but cannot see the tag number or tag color please put “Yes” in the space for the side of the fish the tag was in. If you can see the number or color please enter that detail in that space.”

Done

Also, we would like to delete all imports from our Grouperspotter platform and start slowly one small bulk import at a time from a clean slate with appropriate metadata etc. However since the logs are deleted one month after imports we do not believe we have access to these logs to do the deletions ourselves. Is it possible for someone to clear all of the files from the platform for us

Ok I was able to find the taskIds for all of the old bulk imports. I’ll leave it you guys to actually do the deletions:

https://www.grouperspotter.org/imports.jsp?taskId=bcaeefd5-f10b-4c71-99d3-88788d92fca3

When formatting our metadata file. How do we include the sampling protocol options for the Encounter level attributes such as Bottom Temperature and Stereovideo Length. We are debating on whether it makes sense to just have a Length option for the Encounter Level Attribute and then in the sampling protocol dropdown menu having options for Stereovideo, Laser, Personal guess, Fish-in-hand…

This was a good question. I had to ask the team, and unfortunately bulk import doesn’t support sampling protocol as a column!

Another associated question. Can you have different dropdown menus for the sampling protocol of the Encounter level Measurements?

The answer to this question is unfortunately also a “no”.

Would these features be present in the bulk imports when we’re filling out and updating the metadata for the old grouper images?
Essentially, if I have laser lengths/stereovideo lengths that I want to add for grouper. Would that be filled out under “Encounter.MeasurementX”, or are there multiple unique columns for it? If it’s just the one column, How do I ensure the values I put in go to the right place?

Correct! So, “Encounter.Measurement0” would be Sea Surface Temperature, “Encounter.Measurement1” would be Bottom Temperature, “Encounter.Measurement2” would be Sterereovideo Length, and “Encounter.Measurement3” would be Laser Length.

In the same vein, if we want to have scar descriptions show up on under “Noticeable Scarring”, would we fill information in the bulk import under “Encounter.distinguishingScar”?

Correct again!

I just confirmed this all with a test bulk import. Here is the spreadsheet I used:
bulkImportSpreadsheet.xlsx (5.7 KB)

Cheers,
Mark

Hi Mark,
Thanks so much for all the follow up. Deletion with those links seems to work so great.

So since we can’t really change the sampling protocol to match the measurement if it is not too much trouble, is it possible to swap the two options around so “electronic measurement” is first and the “personal guess” is second. It will just make more sense for that option to be the one that is visible.
Thank you!

Hi Mark, Sorry the questions keep coming. We are finalizing our metadata sheet for bulk uploads…
A few more questions…

What is the column header for the Location Description?
Is it Encounter.verbatimLocality? If not what is this?

What is the appropriate column heading for
Physical Tag left
Physical Tag right

What is the column heading for Sex
Encounter.sex or SexAnalysis.sex and what does the other one stand for?

Hi Mark,
We have deleted all of the imports from the links you sent me. There are still 380 encounters remaining. Five Imports from
7/8/21, 7/7/21, 7/4/21, 6/28/21, 6/27/21
Can you send me the links for those when you get a chance please

Thank you.

I have figured this out. No need to respond.

1 Like

Hi, @accfish !
I’m not seeing any more bulk imports in the database :sweat_smile: :

I’m trying to figure out where these 300+ encounters are coming from, and I’ll get back to you when I do.

Or, if you don’t really care where they’re coming from and just want them deleted, I’m happy to do that, too.

-Mark

You can just delete them, don’t need to know the source. Probably remnants from failed imports or something earlier.

1 Like

Hi Mark, Just a few outstanding questions about metadata header columns and request for change to the sampling protocol. I copied them here so you don’t need to go back through the thread.

Also

Hi, @accfish !
I have not forgotten you! A more urgent issue has come up is all. Next task on my list is to troubleshoot these encounter deletions and respond to the above!
-Mark

Thanks Mark. No worries, I was just consolidating the questions we still had since some I have figured out.