Requested Edits to Report an Encounter page and Encounter page

Also under the Measurements section is it possible to remove the sampling protocol options from some of the measurements. Such as Stereovideo and laser length? If not it is fine. i just doesn’t make sense for there to be options from these two measurements as they would either need to be through lasers or stereovideo to apply. Not a big deal if this is a difficult task.
Thank you for all of your support!

Hi, @accfish !
My responses below:

Assuming that is the case, can we put a note above physical tag (or Tag) stating
“If you cannot read tag number or see tag color of the Physical Tag please put “Yes” in the space for the side of the fish you saw a tag” If you can see the number or color please enter that detail."

This should be doable! I just want to confirm that there’s a slight typo here. Did you mean to write, “… side of the fish IF you saw a tag. If you… detail”?

Also, we would like to delete all imports from our Grouperspotter platform and start slowly one small bulk import at a time from a clean slate with appropriate metadata etc. However since the logs are deleted one month after imports we do not believe we have access to these logs to do the deletions ourselves. Is it possible for someone to clear all of the files from the platform for us

This is doable. I will follow up with @BTran 's post about this soon!

Also under the Measurements section is it possible to remove the sampling protocol options from some of the measurements. Such as Stereovideo and laser length? If not it is fine. i just doesn’t make sense for there to be options from these two measurements as they would either need to be through lasers or stereovideo to apply. Not a big deal if this is a difficult task.
Thank you for all of your support!

Unfortunately, this is not easily doable at the moment.

Thanks, and I’ll report back when I’ve made the new changes, which are being tracked internally as WB-1840.
Mark

Here is a revision to the note above for tags.

“If you saw a Physical Tag but cannot see the tag number or tag color please put “Yes” in the space for the side of the fish the tag was in. If you can see the number or color please enter that detail in that space.”

Ok great we will wait to hear back from you about the deletion process.

No problem about the drop down on the measurement section.

1 Like

Hi Mark,
When formatting our metadata file. How do we include the sampling protocol options for the Encounter level attributes such as Bottom Temperature and Stereovideo Length. We are debating on whether it makes sense to just have a Length option for the Encounter Level Attribute and then in the sampling protocol dropdown menu having options for Stereovideo, Laser, Personal guess, Fish-in-hand…

Another associated question. Can you have different dropdown menus for the sampling protocol of the Encounter level Measurements?

Hi @MarkF,

Would these features be present in the bulk imports when we’re filling out and updating the metadata for the old grouper images?

Essentially, if I have laser lengths/stereovideo lengths that I want to add for grouper. Would that be filled out under “Encounter.MeasurementX”, or are there multiple unique columns for it? If it’s just the one column, How do I ensure the values I put in go to the right place?

In the same vein, if we want to have scar descriptions show up on under “Noticeable Scarring”, would we fill information in the bulk import under “Encounter.distinguishingScar”?

Thanks,
Bryant

Hi, @accfish and @BTran !
My updates below:

Here is a revision to the note above for tags.
“If you saw a Physical Tag but cannot see the tag number or tag color please put “Yes” in the space for the side of the fish the tag was in. If you can see the number or color please enter that detail in that space.”

Done

Also, we would like to delete all imports from our Grouperspotter platform and start slowly one small bulk import at a time from a clean slate with appropriate metadata etc. However since the logs are deleted one month after imports we do not believe we have access to these logs to do the deletions ourselves. Is it possible for someone to clear all of the files from the platform for us

Ok I was able to find the taskIds for all of the old bulk imports. I’ll leave it you guys to actually do the deletions:

https://www.grouperspotter.org/imports.jsp?taskId=bcaeefd5-f10b-4c71-99d3-88788d92fca3

When formatting our metadata file. How do we include the sampling protocol options for the Encounter level attributes such as Bottom Temperature and Stereovideo Length. We are debating on whether it makes sense to just have a Length option for the Encounter Level Attribute and then in the sampling protocol dropdown menu having options for Stereovideo, Laser, Personal guess, Fish-in-hand…

This was a good question. I had to ask the team, and unfortunately bulk import doesn’t support sampling protocol as a column!

Another associated question. Can you have different dropdown menus for the sampling protocol of the Encounter level Measurements?

The answer to this question is unfortunately also a “no”.

Would these features be present in the bulk imports when we’re filling out and updating the metadata for the old grouper images?
Essentially, if I have laser lengths/stereovideo lengths that I want to add for grouper. Would that be filled out under “Encounter.MeasurementX”, or are there multiple unique columns for it? If it’s just the one column, How do I ensure the values I put in go to the right place?

Correct! So, “Encounter.Measurement0” would be Sea Surface Temperature, “Encounter.Measurement1” would be Bottom Temperature, “Encounter.Measurement2” would be Sterereovideo Length, and “Encounter.Measurement3” would be Laser Length.

In the same vein, if we want to have scar descriptions show up on under “Noticeable Scarring”, would we fill information in the bulk import under “Encounter.distinguishingScar”?

Correct again!

I just confirmed this all with a test bulk import. Here is the spreadsheet I used:
bulkImportSpreadsheet.xlsx (5.7 KB)

Cheers,
Mark

Hi Mark,
Thanks so much for all the follow up. Deletion with those links seems to work so great.

So since we can’t really change the sampling protocol to match the measurement if it is not too much trouble, is it possible to swap the two options around so “electronic measurement” is first and the “personal guess” is second. It will just make more sense for that option to be the one that is visible.
Thank you!

Hi Mark, Sorry the questions keep coming. We are finalizing our metadata sheet for bulk uploads…
A few more questions…

What is the column header for the Location Description?
Is it Encounter.verbatimLocality? If not what is this?

What is the appropriate column heading for
Physical Tag left
Physical Tag right

What is the column heading for Sex
Encounter.sex or SexAnalysis.sex and what does the other one stand for?

Hi Mark,
We have deleted all of the imports from the links you sent me. There are still 380 encounters remaining. Five Imports from
7/8/21, 7/7/21, 7/4/21, 6/28/21, 6/27/21
Can you send me the links for those when you get a chance please

Thank you.

I have figured this out. No need to respond.

1 Like

Hi, @accfish !
I’m not seeing any more bulk imports in the database :sweat_smile: :

I’m trying to figure out where these 300+ encounters are coming from, and I’ll get back to you when I do.

Or, if you don’t really care where they’re coming from and just want them deleted, I’m happy to do that, too.

-Mark

You can just delete them, don’t need to know the source. Probably remnants from failed imports or something earlier.

1 Like

Hi Mark, Just a few outstanding questions about metadata header columns and request for change to the sampling protocol. I copied them here so you don’t need to go back through the thread.

Also

Hi, @accfish !
I have not forgotten you! A more urgent issue has come up is all. Next task on my list is to troubleshoot these encounter deletions and respond to the above!
-Mark

Thanks Mark. No worries, I was just consolidating the questions we still had since some I have figured out.

Record keeping: newest changes are being tracked as WB-1858.

Hi, @accfish !

You can just delete them, don’t need to know the source. Probably remnants from failed imports or something earlier.

Ok, I’ve deleted all encounters from grouperspotter (via the database, as a note for posterity).

What is the column header for the Location Description?
Is it Encounter.verbatimLocality? If not what is this?

It should be Encounter.verbatimLocality, yes.

What is the appropriate column heading for
Physical Tag left
Physical Tag right

It doesn’t seem like bulk import supports this, either!

So since we can’t really change the sampling protocol to match the measurement if it is not too much trouble, is it possible to swap the two options around so “electronic measurement” is first and the “personal guess” is second. It will just make more sense for that option to be the one that is visible

Done.

4 posts were split to a new topic: Bulk import questions for grouper spotter

Hi, @accfish !
I’ve split the thread below into a new one to better map community posts to tickets one-to-one (something I should have done or asked you to do a long time ago with this thread). It makes tracking our tickets (and avoiding lengthy threads like this) easier.
I’ll definitely address the new issue(s) [and possibly further split the post if needed] in the new post asap.

Unless you object, I’m going to mark this current thread as resolved.
Cheers,
Mark

That’s fine. Whatever works best for you.