Results with no matches

What Wildbook are you working in? Flukebook
@clsims

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred? Flukebook

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing? After running a new batch of photos, I’ve found that a good portion of them have no match candidates and some of these are good photos (though many are not). We’ve always had plenty of match candidates, even with the very bad photos, so don’t understand why some of these are coming up with zero. The message we get is “Image Analysis has returned and no match was found.”

Can you provide steps on how to reproduce what you’re experiencing?
Opening match results for individual encounters and finding no matches.

If this is a bulk import report, send the spreadsheet to services@wildme.org with the email subject line matching your bug report

It looks like the annotation in this one isn’t correctly surrounding the whale. Are the other encounters you’ve not found match candidates for also experiencing misplaced annotations?

Yes, there are lots in this sighting, many with good annotations.

By the way, I’m going through them and deleted some that are too blurry to be matched (just in case you click on some that are no longer there)

1 Like

After researching this more, I suspect it’s related to a bug in this ticket: Manually reporting an encounter doesn't consistently run default algorithms · Issue #487 · WildMeOrg/Wildbook · GitHub

In your linked encounter, it shows Hotspotter as the algorithm that ran that has no match candidates. I checked the other annotation on the same photo and see it ran MiewID and also displays match candidates. It seems that occasionally, WBIA isn’t running the correct algorithm for a species and as a result, the match results aren’t great.

I re-ran the match on the first encounter and this time it ran MiewID and displayed match candidates.

For any match results that don’t show match candidates can you let me know if it’s because Hotspotter ran instead of MiewID (I want to make sure I’m not overlooking any other reasons candidates aren’t showing up)? Until the underlying bug is fixed, the solution seems to be re-running the match so the correct algorithm runs.

OK - glad you figured it out! So, do I need to rerun it from my projects?
@clsims

Yes, you can try re-running matches from your projects.