Right Whale AI tool within a project (Flukebook)

What Wildbook are you working in? Flukebook

What is the entire URL out of the browser, exactly where the error occurred? Flukebook

Can you describe what the issue is you’re experiencing?
I am trying to use the AI tool to identify Southern right whale individuals within a project. I’m sure there are some individuals with multiple photos; however, when I go to “matched results,” it doesn’t show scores and says “inspection image unavailable (likely outdated).” Furthermore, the order of appearance of the photos is always the same.
From what I understand, the algorithm might not be working correctly?

I’ve not run into this issue yet. Give me some time to look into this further.

1 Like

Thanks for your patience. I’ve learned that Deepsense results with a 0 match score means that no match candidate was found. Deepsense is really optimized for heads facing up and taken from a high aerial viewpoint.

Deepsense is an old algorithm with very limited use. If you see a match score that’s more than 0, those are the ones that represent potential match candidates.

I understand that the deepsense algorithm is the only one that is working for right whales, right? It really surprises me that no matches are being detected, especially since most of the photos are high-resolution aerial shots.

Hotspotter works, too. I checked the annotations on the encounter and I see Hotspotter as an option if you try to re-run the annotation on the first image. On the second image, it only shows Deepsense as an option for that annotation.

Deepsense has to be retrained on new data, it can’t extrapolate to new individuals, so it’s not as user-friendly as our other algorithms. I know there’s a multi-species algorithm that’s coming to Flukebook soon, but I need to verify if it will also work on right whales.

1 Like

One final update: I verified that right whales will be included in our MiewID detector, so you’ll be able to more easily match right whales in the near future.

1 Like

It cannot find any observation that can be analyzed by Hotspotter

I was able to select it from the first image in your linked Encounter:

The match results are still processing, but let me know if you run into issues viewing it when it’s complete.